PHP Melody F.A.Q.
Here are the most frequently asked questions about PHP Melody. If can't find an answer here, send us a quick message.
General Pre-Sale Questions
- Can I remove the 'Powered by' link from the footer of my PHP Melody site?
Yes, you can remove the 'Powered by' link from your video site, if you paid for this service while ordering PHP Melody. If you want to order this service now, visit http://www.phpsugar.com/phpmelody_s_lrf.html
In case you paid for this service, please open config.php and change
define('_POWEREDBY', 1); to define('_POWEREDBY', 0);.
- Does PHP Melody come translated into other languages or do I have to translate it?
PHP Melody is translated in 23 languages. Albanian, Arabic, Bulgarian, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Georgian, Italian, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish. If your language is not on the list you can easily translate PHP Melody. All the language is localized into one language file.
- Does PHP Melody come with any additional templates?
PHP Melody comes with the same vibrant design, you saw in our online demo. You can change this default template, by choosing any of our premium templates. They all look great, they are affordable and they are always updated along with the product.
- Does PHP Melody comply with copyright laws?
Yes. PHP Melody imports video metas from other sites. The actual videos are not imported or downloaded to your hosting account. Therefore your site is safe because you are not hosting any copyrighted content. However, if someone presents you with a DMCA notice and asks to remove some videos, you should do so. Since PHP Melody allows your visitors to upload videos to your hosting account, you should always make sure the videos you approve are not copyrighted material. Again, if you do have copyrighted videos submitted by your users and someone asks you to remove them, you should do so.
- How can I sell my PHP Melody license?
Yes, you can choose to sell your site and/or PHP Melody license at any time. Each license can be sold once.
- How long does it take to receive the product?
We guarantee instant delivery on all orders except for those originating from 'Unverified PayPal' accounts or discounted orders.
- How many times can I use my PHP Melody license?
A standard license can be used on one installation at a time. You can move your site to a new location but you must always have one installation per license. You can run a second installation for testing/modifying purposes as long as this second installation is not public. If you're interested in running PHP Melody on more than one sites, please purchase the unlimited license.
- Is PHP Melody open code?
Yes. We believe in open-code products. That's why we don't encrypt our code, offering anyone the freedom to customize his/hers PHP Melody site.
- Is there a continuing technical support for PHP Melody?
Certainly! It's been 6 years since PHP Melody was first introduced. Ever since, we've been offering daily support, regular updates and so on. We've had a perfect track record since PHPSUGAR.com was established in 2007.
- What language do you use for customer support?
English only. Feel free to use Google Translator if you don't know English that well. That's OK with us.
- When does my license for PHP Melody expire?
All PHP Melody licenses are issued for lifetime. This means you can use PHP Melody for as long as you want. The license will never expire.
- Where can I see a live demo for PHP Melody?
- Where can I see live sites powered by PHP Melody?
Some of the best examples of PHP Melody sites can be seen on our 'Showcase' page.
PHP Melody Installation
- Can I install PHP Melody on a local host (on WAMP, MAMP or EasyPHP)?
Yes, you can. We developed PHP Melody on WAMP. However, before installing PHP Melody on your local PC, please sure your WAMP is configured properly. We cannot offer product support for local installations for obvious reasons.
- Can I install PHP Melody on a Mac?
Yes, you can. We tested all our products on Mac OSX.
- Can I install PHP Melody on more than 1 domain?
You can install PHP Melody on multiple sites only if you have a license for each additional site. If you purchased PHP Melody once, you cannot install it on multiple sites or subdomains. Please contact us for discounts on additional licenses.
- Can you help me install PHP Melody?
Yes. Our team would gladly help you install PHP Melody for a nominal fee. If you just need some help or you run into any problems the help is free of any charge.
- Does PHP Melody come with a manual or installation guide?
Yes, it does. Included in the package is a comprehensive 'Installation manual' to help you install PHP Melody.
- How long does it take to install PHP Melody?
The installation takes on average 10 minutes from start to finish. We provide a very detailed Installation Manual (PDF) and we'll be here to answer any related questions.
PHP Melody Features
- Can I display AdSense or run any ads in PHP Melody?
The build in 'Ad Manager' allows you to easily monetize your site without having to edit any files. Just copy/paste your code and your ads are up and running.
- Can I hide the video uploading/importing feature from users?
Yes, you can enable/disable this feature from the product's Admin Area.
- Can I really embed any video, audio or flash into PHP Melody?
Yes. Starting with version 1.6.x PHP Melody supports any sort of embed codes and in affect any sort of multimedia content. Use your imagination and PHP Melody will be the only CMS you'll ever need.
- Can I remove or disable the user comments?
Yes, you can. This is easily done from the product's Admin Area.
- Can I restrict certain videos and make them private (require registration)?
Yes, you can. Starting with PHP Melody 1.6.x you can make your videos private. This will require your visitors to register before being able to see the private video(s).
- Can I run and manage video ads?
Yes. Our build in ad manager will show a pre-roll video ad. In-video ads and text ads are only possible if you bring some slight modifications to PHP Melody. (i.e. implement the Longtail solution).
- Can I turn off manual video approval?
No. Disabling this will allow anyone to insert any content into your site. This is not recommended at all!
- Can I use DeamWeaver to edit the layout and the colors?
Yes, you can. The layout is separated from the code using the Smarty template engine. This means that you can edit the layout with Dreamweaver or any other HTML editor. The colors and fonts are stored in a single CSS file (/templates/[your template folder]/css/new-style.css).
- Can PHP Melody handle payment subscriptions?
Not yet. However if you think this would be a good idea, please tell us more about your project. Thanks.
- Can PHP Melody play audio files?
Yes. PHP Melody was designed to play audio files such as mp3 and mp4 audio files.
- Can users embed videos from their account?
Members can suggest videos. They are not allowed to embed any content since this could be potentially dangerous. For example, if a user wants to add a Youtube video it cannot paste the embed code. Instead he will paste the Youtube LINK and PHP Melody will take care of the rest. The same applies for all of the 50 supported video sources.
- Do I need a Youtube API key to use PHP Melody?
No, you will not need to apply for such a key. PHP Melody does everything for right out of the box. We use the latest API version which means you simply install PHP Melody and you're ready to import Youtube videos.
- Does it (PHP Melody) have support for any forum scripts?
No, PHP Melody doesn't come with any bridges for forums such as phpbb, vbulleting, SMF, etc. We will see such a feature added in a later PHP Melody release.
- How can I remove the word "music" from the titles and template?
The "music" word can be removed by editing the language file(s) stored in the /lang/ folder.
- How can I remove/replace the existing favicon?
You can choose to replace the existing favicon by replacing this file with your: /uploads/favicon.ico. If you wish to remove this from your site, you can do so by editing /templates/[current template folder]/header.tpl.
- How difficult is it to translate PHP Melody?
PHP Melody already comes with translations for most European countries. If your language isn't among the existing translations, you can translate PHP Melody by simply creating a new language file. Since PHP Melody has its words and phrases stored in a single file, translating PHP Melody is as easy as possible.
- How many videos can I add to my PHP Melody site?
PHP Melody was tested with tens of thousands of videos. It handles the load very well. Any foreseen limitations are likely to be caused by your hosting provider, especially on shared hosting accounts. However, you don't have to worry about this until your site reaches the top 1000 Alexa sites.
- What are the requirements for running PHP Melody?
PHP Melody doesn't have any special requirements. Any reputable hosting provider will cover these basic requirements. PHP Melody needs PHP version 5 or higher, one MySQL database and the GD Library for generating captcha codes. We recommend a Unix hosting account instead of a Windows powered platform.
PHP Melody Technical Stuff
- Can PHP Melody send emails using the mail() function or just via SMTP?
The mail() function is a bit 'old school' and it's not recommended. We've set up our products to use a STMP mail server.
- Do I need a dedicated server for PHP Melody?
No. PHP Melody was designed to use as little resources as possible. This makes it perfectly usable on any shared hosting account. If you plan on hosting your own videos, a dedicated server or an Amazon S3 account might be a good idea. Otherwise, you certainly don't need it.
- Do I need a hosting provider with FFMPEG support?
No. PHP Melody doesn't convert any videos so there's no need for FFMPEG support.
- If i import videos from Youtube, are they stored on my hosting account?
No, PHP Melody doesn't download any videos locally. The videos will play videos straight from Youtube. Some videos will get removed from Youtube.com and they will stop working in your site as well. This is why we have an automated video checker build into PHP Melody.
- What is the maximum video size that PHP Melody can support?
There is no limit as far as size or duration are concerned. However, some hosting providers may set some limits by default. Such a limitation can easily be lifted by contacting your hosting provider. This is a simple and common procedure.
- What video formats are supported by PHP Melody?
You can publish any of the following video formats straight from your hard drive and into your PHP Melody site: *.FLV, *.AVI, *.MKV, *.DIVX *.MOV, *.WMV and *.MP4.
- When I import a video from Youtube, is it actually downloaded to my server?
No. The imported videos are always streamed from their original location, ensuring your hosting bills stay as low as possible.
- Which hosting provider is the best for PHP Melody?
We recommend any of the major hosting providers such as: BlueHost, DeamHost, HostGator, etc. As with anything else, you get what you pay for. Hosting plays a key role in your site's growth so it's best to avoid the cheap hosting providers. Unix is better for PHP Melody than Windows.