Loading ...

[BETA] PHP Melody 1.7 Beta Talk

Board index / PHP Melody - Video CMS

For PHP Melody version 2 and newer

Postby Andrew on Nov 14, 2012 6 pm

Since we've sent out the beta invites, I'm sure there will be some talk about the beta version in the forums as well. At least I hope so :)

While we're gathering feedback on this page alone, I will gladly answer any questions about PHP Melody 1.7 in this topic.

---
Please don't post any URLs or SCREENSHOTS from the beta in the forums. Bug reports and screenshots should be submitted on this page. Thanks & enjoy!
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby muzikia on Nov 14, 2012 6 pm

Congrats from me and my associates.
Just seen it.
For us is important to prepare ourself and to release the new plugins on the new plugin framework.
Therefore the live test isn't enough.
Could we have the build as download ?
And if not now, when ?
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby Andrew on Nov 14, 2012 6 pm

Sure, check your email.
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby muzikia on Nov 14, 2012 6 pm

Thank you. Got it right now.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby chatflash on Nov 14, 2012 7 pm

Just testing it, looks nice.

Some suggestions:

1. The image by articles open the image in the browser, instead of lightweigt window (as in 1.6)
2. The video's has only 1 title, instead of "artist" - "Song"?
3. The links structure has been changed? If so, i think this is not a good idea for sites that has been indexed by Google.
4. The related articles can often not find any related videos, i have just added some movie trailers, but the related (That use the same name's) are not showed on the video page.
5. Im missing something on the profile's, litle bit more interactivety, something like showing the comments on it or something else.
6. The system has it own like system, why not a wall with some interactive information? @ Andrew i will send you a link of a other project, there you can you see what i mean.
chatflash
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 132

Postby jonty19 on Nov 14, 2012 8 pm

Only new videos on homepage? It's good to have videos by category on the homepage. Is this possible on this version?
jonty19
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 11

Postby brownbloodz on Nov 14, 2012 8 pm

Submit the feedback using http://www.phpsugar.com/beta/survey.php so Andrew can implement the changes in the final release. I just submitted my feedback.
brownbloodz
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 261

Postby brownbloodz on Nov 14, 2012 8 pm

jonty19 wrote:Only new videos on homepage? It's good to have videos by category on the homepage. Is this possible on this version?

Yeah something like this would be nice: Show top / new videos from each category >
brownbloodz
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby webbiepublisher on Nov 14, 2012 9 pm

I have mixed emotions about this update..still listing sources that no longer exist and not much in the way of new video sources. Love the cosmetic changes but still long way to go on the admin side of things. Also can we get a separate sitemap for articles? It's hard enough trying to get indexed, much harder by jumping both modules into one sitemap.
VPS Servers starting at $2 per month!!5GB+ Space
3.3GHz+ CPU
1Gbps Connection
1 IPv4 / 16 IPv6
Instant Setup!
webbiepublisher
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 24

Postby brownbloodz on Nov 14, 2012 10 pm

webbiepublisher wrote:I have mixed emotions about this update..

Since this is a beta release, I am submitting the feedback so the promised features gets added on the final release.

Some of the things that are not seen in 1.7 right now: (I am just reposting what I have sent to Andrew already)
1. HTML 5 Player support
2. No custom tags/warnings (Ex. NSFL, NSFW).
3. Articles don't support thumbnails. I use artist mod to post images and this means that I'll have to hire a developer to make some modification.
4. 1.7 was promised to be more social. Nothing has changed for members. No added benefits for members to register.
- Comments still don't reply or voting options. People like to get upvotes on their comments.
- No PM messages for them
5. Admins can't contact members. No newsletter option either.
6. Videos waiting for approval have to be approved before editing can be done. This was a issue in 1.6 and still hasn't been fixed.

Overall I really like the new design and loads faster. Have only noticed minor bugs with the design. I am hoping the issues that I posted get resolved in the final release.
brownbloodz
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby brownbloodz on Nov 14, 2012 10 pm

I would suggest using https://getsatisfaction.com/ for feedback. This way users can vote on bug reports, features and requests.
Last edited by brownbloodz on Nov 14, 2012 11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brownbloodz
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby webbiepublisher on Nov 14, 2012 10 pm

brownbloodz wrote:

Since this is a beta release, I am submitting the feedback so the promised features gets added on the final release.

Some of the things that are not seen in 1.7 right now: (I am just reposting what I have sent to Andrew already)
1. HTML 5 Player support
3. Articles don't support thumbnails. I use artist mod to post images and this means that I'll have to hire a developer to make some modification.
4. 1.7 was promised to be more social. Nothing has changed for members. No added benefits for members to register.
- Comments still don't reply or voting options. People like to get upvotes on their comments.
6. Videos waiting for approval have to be approved before editing can be done. This was a issue in 1.6 and still hasn't been fixed.

Overall I really like the new design and loads faster. Have only noticed minor bugs with the design. I am hoping the issues that I posted get resolved in the final release.

I hear you man but the sources situation is just terrible right now. Megavideo and joost no longer exist but they are in 1.7, some of these sources don't work anymore either, the videos don't even embed on our sites. I do appreciate some of the new sources we've gotten but there are a ton of public api's for videos now can we actually put them to use..I have been asking for this one thing for two years now. The article sitemap isn't there, it's hard enough getting indexed but jumbling artilces in with video results is not the way to go. A separate sitemap for that alone would produce a higher chance of getting articles indexed. I think my frustration stems from things that people have been asking of melody for a very long time never being addressed. So far the one thing I do like is the updated article module..finally no overlapping of sentences when you increase the font size within articles.
VPS Servers starting at $2 per month!!5GB+ Space
3.3GHz+ CPU
1Gbps Connection
1 IPv4 / 16 IPv6
Instant Setup!
webbiepublisher
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 24

Postby Lawrence on Nov 15, 2012 2 pm

So far I like it. When we are out of beta I can really give it a run and comment more effectively. But from what I can tell so far it's looking good. Would like to see livefyre commenting integrated http://livefyre.com/ some examples of add placement (monetization) and the removal of dead video sites. In all it's looking very promising.
Lawrence
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 0

Postby Lawrence on Nov 15, 2012 2 pm

webbiepublisher wrote:
brownbloodz wrote:

1. HTML 5 Player support

I hear you man but the sources situation is just terrible right now. Megavideo and joost no longer exist but they are in 1.7, some of these sources don't work anymore either, the videos don't even embed on our sites. I do appreciate some of the new sources we've gotten but there are a ton of public api's for videos now can we actually put them to use..I have been asking for this one thing for two years now. The article sitemap isn't there, it's hard enough getting indexed but jumbling artilces in with video results is not the way to go. A separate sitemap for that alone would produce a higher chance of getting articles indexed. I think my frustration stems from things that people have been asking of melody for a very long time never being addressed. So far the one thing I do like is the updated article module..finally no overlapping of sentences when you increase the font size within articles.

I agree with all of the above. I have also added my contribution. :D
Lawrence
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 0

Postby brownbloodz on Nov 15, 2012 2 pm

Andrew posted this on FB:
This version represents the beginning of a new era for PHP Melody. We had to get the basics right and only then start adding complex features. The changes in 1.7 are more than cosmetic.

I know some customers were expecting more features. Rest assured, we will deliver.

https://www.facebook.com/yourvideocms
brownbloodz
Verified Customer
Verified Customer