Loading ...

[solved] Edit User Access Level.

Board index / PHP Melody - Video CMS / PHP Melody 1.6.x (old version)

Forums for the previous PHP Melody version (1.6.x)

Postby etchbee on Apr 15, 2010 3 pm

Hi,

Is there any way to add video and edit not delete only own video not all?

Next - What is difference between regular user and editor?

Thanks.

Hum ;)
etchbee
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 0

Postby Andrew on Apr 15, 2010 5 pm

An Editor can access parts of the Admin Area that involve Article management (only).

A Moderator can do more than that. You can set the level of access for Moderators from your Admin Area > Settings > User Settings
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
https://demo.phpmelody.com/admin/series.php
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby etchbee on Apr 15, 2010 7 pm

Thank you Andrew for your quick response.

How can I limit the access to Moderator to ONLY ADD VIDEO and just edit its own video, No DELETE privilege at all.

Hum ;)
etchbee
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Andrew on Apr 19, 2010 11 am

That's a bit hard from what I know and a bit risky too, if you're planing on giving moderator ranks to unknown people.
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby etchbee on Apr 19, 2010 11 am

I was actually trying to attract user to contribute video by letting them add themselves, so it could generate more content to website and users would be directly involving and make them return to site, something like social networking.
etchbee
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Andrew on Apr 21, 2010 5 pm

I understand this. However, in my view it's best to be safe about what content gets added to your site.

After all 99% of your visitors come to GET content and 1% comes to POST content.

If that 1% messes up, then you'll pay by sacrificing the other 99% :)

That's why it's best to moderate some things.

Perhaps your site won't get abused from day one but give it enough time and it will come.

Sorry to be this pessimistic but I assume you intend to grow a quality site...
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby seawords on Dec 30, 2010 10 pm

It is absolutely essential that the administrator has the ability to decide whether a particular user or user group can directly upload or has to have the video verified before being published.
seawords
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby vidderman on Jul 15, 2014 4 am

Sorry if this seems like stirring up the pot but I think the original poster makes a good point.

I understand your point too, Andrew and we have discussed this a little bit.

It's true there are more who watch than post. However, consider the following points for allowing such a user permission. I will call them posters.

• They assist the admin in posting fresh content and relieve the burden on the admin.
  • They would only get this permission level after a certain amount of trust. These roles are only assigned by the admin and can removed.
  • They can be deleted or banned for objectionable content
  • Their videos can be flagged if necessary. The fact that the feature is there anticipates the need for user reporting
  • Optimism or Pessimism in allocating features is a little overreaching. Letting owners determine what they want and don't want might work in ways that this kind of bias doesn't anticipate particularly because there is a bias one way or another

I appreciate the concern but for a product that is paid for and run on the server of those who paid for it, freedom to customize their network should take precedence.

What harm does it do anyone else but the creator of the network if they fail at their implementation and maybe learn something from it rather that not be able to even explore their options.

It would be like hiring a team but not giving them any power to do their jobs because the CEO feels they need to micro manage all aspects of the operations because there is a 1-10% chance someone could do something stupid. This is what the hiring process is for and even then it's not 100%. Any leader knows they need to delegate responsibility in order to be successful. The way it's set up now limits delegating by giving some roles too little or too much power.

Wordpress has multiple levels of permissions like this and it makes sense for a publishing platform.

Here are at least 2 other posts that highlight this issue and includes customers even willing to pay for it.
Whether it sounds like a good option or not the face that people are willing to pay for it should be the ultimate deciding factor not of it's usefulness but it's availability as even just an option.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6268&hilit=access+level
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8636&hilit=access+level
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 5

Postby Guy on Apr 17, 2015 7 pm

I agree with Vidderman and need the same functions for my own sites. In my case I want certain members that I appoint, to upload videos, without being able to interfere with other members' uploads or accounts.
Guy
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 10