Loading ...

Presale: PHP melody

Board index / General Chat / General Product Chat

Our humble work and the community behind it.

Postby Dominick on May 06, 2010 11 am

Hi,

I am very interested in php melody but I have a few presale questions,

- I registered an account but I cannot ask presale questions in the presale area of the forum, why not?
- How many mods are there available for php melody?
- I read the forum for a bit and there are some people here on the forum who are very negative about the support, can other customers back them up or is the service ok or better than ok?
- I understood the frontend template is smarty, but is it also possible to style the backend using smarty?
- Who can explain to me the real difference between the user levels? (is there a table overview available somewhere)?
- When theres another update do I have to replace the files or is there a online updater?
- The professional installation fee is higher than the product price, is the script so hard to install?
- Is it possible to change the seo links of the videos?
- Why are the tags not included in the video's source keywords? Is it possible to do or are they converted into links?
- I am working with safari (mac osx) and the "lights off" page darken the entire page (incl. video) is this a bug or just something in safari?
- The "new videos" and "top videos" is a table format (list view), is it hard to transform them to a grid view?
- Will a "List to grid" and "grid to list" be available in a new release (feature request :))
- Who do I have to contact about a custom module to link dancer in the clip, so people can see all the clips of a specific dancer or a specific director...

And my last and final question :"Why is the price so low?" (it doesnt feel right ....)

Dominick
Dominick
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 30

Postby Andrew on May 07, 2010 4 pm

Welcome to our forums Dominick!

I'll start with the last of your questions. The price has always been the same. Yes, PHP Melody has improved greatly over the past 3 years but we've decided not to be greedy about it.

Please note that the 'included services' such as free customer support are free for the first 6 months as specified in our terms of agreement. Once they expire, there's a fee of $39 for 1 extra year or $59 for lifetime support and upgrades. This doesn not mean you cannot use PHP Melody unless you pay. The usage rights are for lifetime from the start. These fees are only for support and future upgrades, similar to what vBulletin does.

This fee allows us to keep improving PHP Melody.

Now, here are the answers to your questions:

- I registered an account but I cannot ask presale questions in the presale area of the forum, why not?
= Not sure, i'll have to check the permissions. Sorry about this!

- How many mods are there available for php melody?
= Quite a few! About 2 pages of HOWTO tutorials and a mods forum (private) with even more.

- I read the forum for a bit and there are some people here on the forum who are very negative about the support, can other customers back them up or is the service ok or better than ok?
= Sorry to hear this. Perhaps only the negative parts are visible since customer interactions with our team are private. I'm sure many customers can support us when I say that the support is better than good :)

- I understood the frontend template is smarty, but is it also possible to style the backend using smarty?
= Not really since the Admin Area is always something utilitarian. I believe it's quite ok the way it is now.

- Who can explain to me the real difference between the user levels? (is there a table overview available somewhere)?
= User levels were recently introduced. They can be Administrator with overall access to the entire admin area, Editor - with access only to the Articles part and Moderator - with access to some areas but not all or not important ones.

- When theres another update do I have to replace the files or is there a online updater?
= PHP Melody doesn't have an auto-updater.

- The professional installation fee is higher than the product price, is the script so hard to install?
= Not at all. We provide plenty of instructions on how to install it and the installation process is similar to WordPress. The fee may seem high because we're a small team and our time is valuable. The installation is easy and we rarely have installation requests.

- Is it possible to change the seo links of the videos?
= Yes, it is, we have a tutorial for this in our private forums if i can remember correctly.

- Why are the tags not included in the video's source keywords? Is it possible to do or are they converted into links?
= Not sure I understand this one.

- I am working with safari (mac osx) and the "lights off" page darken the entire page (incl. video) is this a bug or just something in safari?
= Yes, that's a bug that appears only in Safari and only on Mac. Sorry but we couldn't fix this one. Works fine on any other OS and browser, except perhaps for UNIX.

- The "new videos" and "top videos" is a table format (list view), is it hard to transform them to a grid view?
= Not really. You must know PHP and HTML though.

- Will a "List to grid" and "grid to list" be available in a new release (feature request :))
= It will not, but we'll gladly add it to our list of requests.

- Who do I have to contact about a custom module to link dancer in the clip, so people can see all the clips of a specific dancer or a specific director...
= There are a few customers/forum members that will happily take this custom job.

Ok, hope this answers your questions and I hope you've changed your mind about the negative opinions you might have seen in our forums.

Have a fun weekend and let me know if you have any other Questions ;)
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
https://demo.phpmelody.com/admin/series.php
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby Dominick on May 07, 2010 5 pm

Heeyz,

Thanks for your reply!

Code: Select all
Why are the tags not included in the video's source keywords? Is it possible to do or are they converted into links?

Is it possible to use the tags of the video as the meta keywords for that particular page?

But you, muzikia and the product itself conviced me, I will purchase it!
Dominick
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby Andrew on May 07, 2010 6 pm

Is it possible to use the tags of the video as the meta keywords for that particular page?

Yes, the tags already act as META KEYWORDS ;)

See this page: http://www.phpsugar.com/pm_demo/halloat ... abd68.html

Check the tags and check the META KEYWORDS. You'll see they are the same.

Thanks again!
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby muzikia on May 08, 2010 1 am

Dominick wrote:Heeyz,

But you, muzikia and the product itself conviced me, I will purchase it!

Thank you Dominick.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby Dominick on May 10, 2010 4 pm

Quick question: Does php melody will get (or already has) the option to login with your twitter account?

http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Sign-in-with-Twitter
Dominick
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby muzikia on May 11, 2010 7 pm

PHP Melody dont have from the box this option.

At this moment i dont think that smb made a plugin for this feature.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby Dominick on May 11, 2010 7 pm

@muzikia

Thankz for your reply,
But what is SMB?
And do you also do custom programing and if yes, could you give a quote how much a mod like this would cost.

I think with a sign-in-with-twitter mod more users will login comment, I do it myself also when theres a twitter login.
Dominick
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby mephisto on May 11, 2010 9 pm

mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -6

Postby Dominick on May 11, 2010 9 pm

Yes thats what I meant, how did you do that? Is that a mod or custom coding?
Dominick
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby mephisto on May 11, 2010 11 pm

custom coding, or self made mod however you want to take it.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Dominick on May 11, 2010 11 pm

Ok, whas it hard to integrate and do you freelance on custom coding?
Dominick
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby mephisto on May 12, 2010 8 am

yes, because I had to write it from scatch and documentation was very sparse and inadequate and no I don't freelance for this kind of stuff.

There's a couple of discussions elsewhere on this board about membership. I wouldn't worry about it. You want visitors, not members. Focus on the quality of your videos and regular updates instead of on member services.
Most people that register never even login anymore after they did.
The number of registrations with this system hasn't really increased all that significantly.
Most people don't see any point in registering or signing in for a video site, and I share that opinion.
I never login on youtube or any other video site either.
It's pointless, unless you're one of those ego tripping commenters or you use one of the members only functions extensively.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Dominick on May 13, 2010 10 pm

I had another question by looking at the demo,
Its possible to use or flowplayer or JWplayer, but what is really the difference between the two,
Why did phpsugar decide to integrate the second one?
If we want to use it without branding we have to buy a license right? its not included right?
And If I want to create a custom skin which do you recommend? Flowplayer or JWplayer?

Sorry for bothering you again,
Dominick
Dominick
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby Andrew on May 13, 2010 10 pm

You're not bothering anyone. We've set up this forum for people to talk to each other :)

1) We choose to integrate both since have a commercial license for Flowplayer and we've been using it for 3 years. However, JW Player brings some features which Flowplayer 2 can't match; some people actually prefer to have options when it comes to players.

2) Yes, to remove the JW Player branding you need to purchase a license from them. Currently we don't have a commercial license for JW Player since this would increase our product's price.

3) Flowplayer 2 doesn't support skins. JW Player does.
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer