Loading ...

Have a nice day

Board index / General Chat / General Product Chat

Our humble work and the community behind it.

Postby dhunt on Jul 03, 2012 11 pm

I did a test. I put up a regular HTML type system. Compared it to PHPMelody.

My numbers in melody were getting out of hand. As in fewer people, rediculously low search engine, when the rating was over 1 mil + it was time to do something.

The prelim results are in:

On the HTML system:

More Google referrals
The 1 mil number has stopped going up and is showing a slight decline
It's easier to maintain. ( I know, but I write HTML code FAST)
I can get a page up for a show or movie in about the same time with less effort

Gotta listen to the SCO on this one and the HTML page wins hands down.

It's been a good 2 years but you all have a nice day.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -85

Postby Trace on Jul 04, 2012 9 am

You remade the best design of the 90s? :P
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 1329

Postby mephisto on Jul 04, 2012 11 am

Trace wrote:You remade the best design of the 90s? :P

:twisted:

But Trace don't you understand, this is a heartfelt tribute to the early Geocities days.

Especially the 404 page will get a lot of views it seems.

Now all we have to do is wait untill youtube falls over as he has predicted so often and see if he'll still be standing after that.

Funny how it always has to be somebody else's fault. It was all phpmelody's fault.
Oh well, now he's got nobody left to blame.
Except Microsoft FrontPage 6.0 and Microsoft Office html.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -6

Postby muzikia on Jul 04, 2012 12 pm

I really dont think that the design was made by dhunt. Think that he sold the website to a 12 years old guy playing with MS Frontpage.......
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby mephisto on Jul 04, 2012 12 pm

muzikia wrote:a 12 years old guy playing with MS Frontpage.......

That sounds like dhunt to me... :mrgreen:

I don't think he'd ever sell his site, after the way he carried on about it here... that's very unlikely.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby brownbloodz on Jul 04, 2012 4 pm

Site is going to get hard to manage when you get so many videos. And it would be a pain to convert it back to another Video CMS site.

You should consider using Wordpress / Joomla / Drupal to manage the site. Here's a Drupal theme: http://www.themesnap.com/premium-drupal ... video.html
brownbloodz
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 261

Postby muzikia on Jul 04, 2012 4 pm

mephisto wrote:
muzikia wrote:a 12 years old guy playing with MS Frontpage.......

That sounds like dhunt to me... :mrgreen:

I don't think he'd ever sell his site, after the way he carried on about it here... that's very unlikely.

Bad as always. :)
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby mephisto on Jul 05, 2012 12 am

brownbloodz wrote:Site is going to get hard to manage when you get so many videos. And it would be a pain to convert it back to another Video CMS site.

You should consider using Wordpress / Joomla / Drupal to manage the site. Here's a Drupal theme: http://www.themesnap.com/premium-drupal ... video.html

The whole point he thinks he's making is to prove that html pages - even Microsoft Office html! - would be a lot better than any CMS. Which is a joke in itself. It's again him telling everybody here we're idiots and he's so much smarter than all of us. That has been his stance all along. Just ignore that adding 2 lines of jw player code was already WAY over his head.

He's talking about preliminary tests. What tests? Look at his source code, he's got Alexa code in there not even a google webmasters ID. You tell me what tests he could have done. I'd like to know, seriously. And how long? 2 Days? 1 Day? 3 Days ago his phpmelody site was still online. He doesn't even have most of his contents online yet, hence all the 404s for every category I clicked, so what would such a test mean anyway? If there would be such a thing. Do you seriously think google would have updated all that in 48 hours? And what about all the old links being dead and gone now? 2 years down the drain. Search engines won't like that one bit. He'll be penalized for that. As I noticed from other posts, he doesn't even know how to use, leave alone evaluate google. He's big on words but very small on brains.

When I told him his top video had 750 views after 2 years he didn't understand how I could possibly know that "with so many videos" (sic!). You only had to look at the top videos page! He never even figured that one out, our Rocket scientist!

It's just another flagrant example of his typical irrational and nonsensical behaviour. He would have made a good comedian if he wouldn't take himself so serious.

And do note that he has repeatedly said he wanted Andrew to improve his product, so phpsugar could be more succesful against any possible competitors. And his famous last words, here and now, confirm what I have always said. He never gave a damn about anything else but his own desperate need for that jw player advertising code.

I'm not exactly proud of the ugly discussions we had here, but I figured this guy out very soon.

His goodbye note here is destroying phpmelody all together, slagging it off beyond repair, by even posting it in one of the few public forums here. And that was done intentional.
Such a nice chap, isn't he?!
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 05, 2012 2 am

It's not a goodbye note. It's a message to Andrew and only Andrew. You are too shallow to understand it.

I have noted that Melody is totally caustic to the new Google. And it's not doing real well on the more traditional search engines (most powered by Yahoo) either. I watched MOST of the Melody sites disappear into obsurity in the search engines and the ratings as soon as the new Panda was introduced. SEO for Melody is extremely weak.

A Bad site that has good search properties and high numbers is better than the slickest sites ever made with low SEO and low search engine numbers.

I have also noticed that you and a small handful in here demand that YOU be catered to. You and that small group are not always right. But you are the loudest. Just like I see in this exchange, you and one other resort to name calling and bullying. Melody is in trouble at this point and you don't care as long as your power games work.

Andrew needs to rethink the priorities if Melody is to go forward.

Thank you Brownz for the constructive critisizm. It is appreciated. I may or may not take the advice but I know the advice is given in the right tone. I have a long way to go to fill it in like it was. But it took me almost two years work to get the system under Melody where it was. I think six months will be about where it will be back to where it was.

I will look at V1.7 when it comes out. But the SEO has to be addressed and addressed hard. The fact it can import embedding isn't important to Movie and TV sites. In fact, it's not important at all. That feature gets too many holes when the movies are taken down because of copyright violations. It's like Flashbulbs going off. The Movie and TV sites hold them on our sites, require larger sites and are in a tougher competition than the music sites.

Here is what I found. I noticed that my user base dropped considerably with the poor performance on Google and Yahoo due to weak SEO. The Referrals went way down as well. This includes Facebook, Google and Yahoo. I notices that Alexa rating was through the roof. It's inching down even with the 404 pages that are soon to be taken care of. The spiders only go so deep and usually the best ratings are given 2 to 3 deep. That means that the content must be available no more than 3 pages deep but preferable in the first 1 and 2 pages. Better yet, the first page. The Graphics need alternate text to go along with the graphics themselves. Having good SEO is actually pretty simple. Andrew needs to stop listening to the loud ones who are fearing losing their control and take care of what is under the hood to help get the ratings higher in the Search Engines and get the Alexa numbers lower.

As it is right now, When these things are brought up there is a small group that bands together and starts trying to shout things down. You are right, it's been pretty ugly. But two of you have been the ugliest of all.

I hope Andrew and crew addresses these problems in the new V1.7. It's fairly easy to switch back to Melody from the format I have right now. Just a lot of Move commands for entire movie and tv base where they are not all lumped together in the same directory. This includes the graphics as well.

So go ahead and be as nasty as you wish but all you are doing is yelling trying to shout down constructive critizims. Hopefully, Andrew and company will correct the situation in spite of you.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 05, 2012 2 am

Here we go again, phpmelody has poor SEO.

Well join the complaints club. I've seen a few of those here and every time I checked their site, it turns out their site sucked big time and therefore google and most other search engines rightly decided it just wasn't worth it. Don't let your vanity get in the way of your judgement, mate.

But that is of course always phpmelody's fault.

Google has even announced recently that it was at war with SEO. So good luck with that.

SEO means basically that you are trying to convince search engines that your site is better than it actually is and therefore they should offer it as one of the top search results. Search engine bots however have gotten so smart, they don't buy that bullshit anymore. They know how good your site is or how poor. They don't need you to tell them anymore.

Let's have just one quick look at your html page, what exactly is there on those pages that any search engine should index and that you think should make you entitled to a decent ranking? It was not much different on your phpmelody site.

Let's take a random page
http://tvmoviesforfree.com/tv/lifeofril ... opper.html
the whole description is
Jackie Gleason in The Life Of Riley aired 11-22-49 Ep08

Let's look at the source code
Code: Select all
<meta name="description" content="TV, Movies, Games, live TV for everyone.  You can watch your favorite Old time TV Programs.  You can watch Vintage Movies and even play your old favorite games.">

is the same on every page.

<title>TV and Movies for Free</title>

<meta name="keywords" content="tv, movies, television, streaming, download, free, games, live tv">

And you come here to teach Andrew and us a lesson in SEO? And you want to blame other people for having a laugh at your expense?

You tell us what people would have to google for to get a referral to your site from google?

How would you ever get a decent ranking with something like that, if there is NOTHING on that page that any search engine could even be interested in. It's your fault, it always has been, but you're just one of the many that are deluded enough to think that they can never be wrong and therefore Andrew has to fix his script.

And maybe you should learn to speak for yourself, because there are a number of phpmelody sites here that have excellent ranking and excellent referrals from all search engines, even the Chinese and Russian ones, and facebook and twitter and you name it. But those people know what they're doing. They don't just point the finger at somebody else for their own screw ups. They are willing to learn instead of pretending they know it all. And they are not too lazy to keep their sites updated either.

And as far as
It's a message to Andrew and only Andrew.

that's why you posted it on one of the few public forums here.
Very credible.
Ever considered emailing him if it was so personal?

The Eagles once wrote a song about people with an "entitlement problem" like you. It's called "Get Over It!"
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 05, 2012 3 am

I see name calling and "I am in Charge". Nice one. You just keep that up. And keep shooting the messenger. Seo is an ongoing thing. First you have to have the content (as in the shows and movies). Then you build the SEO from that. Here it is, Day 2 of the new build and you can't see it. Good. You die off while the rest of us go forward.

My message is that the SEO is non existant from Melody and that needs to be addressed in V1.7.

Your message is, if you don't get your way, you are going to throw a tantrum and throw yourself to the ground. You'll probably miss.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 05, 2012 3 am

Your message is, if you don't get your way...

Are you really that blind? There is no such thing as MY WAY!
I do things THEIR WAY (google, yahoo, etc etc.).
So does everybody else that wants to get anywhere.
They have set the rules, not me.
I just abide by them. They are in charge. Not me.

And I tell you to do the same thing if you ever want to get anywhere with your site.
It's their game, either you play by their rules or you can pack it up.
Game Over.

I don't even have any intention to be in charge here, not by any measure.
I just reply to your unfounded allegations that are unsubstantiated and complete nonsense when compared to the facts that everybody can verify and that you should be familiar with after running a site for over 2 years.

The fact that you actually think that your movies and shows are the content says enough.
You couldn't be more wrong. Stop moaning and bitching and start learning instead.

And answer us this one fundamental question
You tell us what people would have to google for to get a referral to your site from google?

I'm not the one asking constantly to change something or to add something. So to accuse me of wanting things my way, when I don't even want anything at all, is preposterous.

My message is that the SEO is non existant from Melody

we all got that, loud and clear, but you're wrong.
It's you and your site that is the problem and not phpmelody's SEO.
The fact that there's several successful phpmelody sites prove that you're wrong.
We all have the same 'non-existent SEO' as you call it, apart from some minor modifications.

And what exactly do you have in mind as so-called SEO improvements?
Maybe that would be helpful to know for Andrew as well.

I watched MOST of the Melody sites disappear into obsurity in the search engines

I'll tell you why that is, and that doesn't have anything to do with SEO at all. If there's 500 phpmelody sites posting the latest Justin Bieber or Rihanna video and not much else in a month, then they will find their ranking sliding down very fast. This is first and foremost a matter of content and not SEO. If your site is the same as 500 other sites, they all end up on page 25 (if not 125) regardless of how much SEO you might want to apply. And to those few people that do spend a lot of time updating their site regularly this is only fair. If you only update once a month you're not worthy of getting a decent rating is what search engines say. And they're absolutely right.
Last edited by mephisto on Jul 05, 2012 3 am, edited 4 times in total.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 05, 2012 3 am

I am wrong? The leading SEO people all have stated that Panda no longer uses the head statements. It uses the content from the pages itself. The reason the SEO is better is that the pages have more information in them that are original. Nothing is taken from Google or Youtube for descriptions. The Headers have become not nearly as important.

Your critique shows that you know nothing about the current search engines and placement. I have started adding content to the pages whenever possible. And that content is 2 and 3 pages down, NOT 4 or 5 pages down which never makes it into the SEO formulas. You are using old information for your going on and on about this.

What do you want? I see it very clearly. You want to be in charge. Hate to break it to you, you aren't and never will be. Using a childs argument methods as you do, you will never be in charge.

I hope Andrew heeds the new Panda requirements I have brought up. Well, I hope he does for everyone else for V1.7 and leaves you to fend for yourself.

Now, be quiet and let the Adults talk.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 05, 2012 4 am

It uses the content from the pages itself.

so where's that content on your page then?

Jackie Gleason in The Life Of Riley aired 11-22-49 Ep08

is all I can find.

I have always said that the headers are not that important anymore, you can find plenty of posts of me saying that in the past, but that doesn't mean that you should use the same on each and every page either. Google in particular does not like that at all. And in combination with a total lack of any other significant content that will be lethal for any site.

Now, be quiet and let the Adults talk.

Good one, so what are you gonna do then? :twisted:

We'll see where those SEO experts will get you. I'm pretty sure I know already. But that is fortunately not my problem.

How you even manage to compose a sweeping general statement like
I watched MOST of the Melody sites disappear into obsurity in the search engines and the ratings as soon as the new Panda was introduced.

with a straight face, is anybody's guess. How did you watch that exactly I wonder? You didn't. You wouldn't even know how. None of us here would know how, without having access to their stats. You just have to come up with these outlandish broad statements in order be regarded as having some sort of vague authority, to be at least perceived as possibly knowing what the hell you're talking about, and to justify your further ramblings. And you do that constantly. Your reliance on Alexa data is pretty hilarious to be honest. And you accuse me of being way behind the curve.

But what gives, it's great to know nothing about anything, as I do, according to you, and to still be where I'm at.
I should be so lucky!

I wish you the best of luck. You might very well go on to become the next dotcom billionaire, if only those pesky SEO experts would want to help you. Hell, you might even get a webby award for your latest design.

My late grandmother taught me a long time ago that you can't blame people for being mad, all you can do is try to avoid or ignore them if they're too much of a nuissance.

I rest my case. Back to ignoring you.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 05, 2012 8 am

mephisto wrote:

We'll see where those SEO experts will get you. I'm pretty sure I know already. But that is fortunately not my problem.

I rest my case. Back to ignoring you.

You are finally right about something. It's NOT your problem, little boy. And since I don't see it as a problem (my opinion is the ultimate one here for my own site) then there is no problem.

Since I am retired, I can spend a lot of time in here. And get things loaded. I just finished The Adventures of Robin Hood and still find time to read and post in here post for post. You aren't that old. Therefore, you don't pay for your own bandwidth, you don't pay for your own computers, using Mommy's and Daddy's computer and internet connection. You are a kid. Simple as that.

Now, since it's been determined by you that "it's NOT your Problem" and you are a kid, let the grownups talk and children should be seen, not heard.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer