Loading ...

Have a nice day

Board index / General Chat / General Product Chat

Our humble work and the community behind it.

Postby muzikia on Jul 07, 2012 8 am

i read every post here.
dhunt, Mephisto has a huge experience in this field. It is better to listen her. She simply proved her knowledge with her website and. .. and please note: I am not a fan of Mephisto and she is not a fan of me.

If smth is important here is each own website. Show me your website to tell you how knowledgeable you are. You will see websites full of ads but also clean and visitor oriented websites. It is the webmaster decision.

Since 2008 we had also only one guy unhappy with the PHM SEO .. In fact his own reason to exist was the SEO. And just left the boat. It is so simple.
If you have complains, talk with the PHM dev. .. which is Andrew. He is the only guy able to add more features and make it better. Simple enough.

As for your current website, sorry to tell you, once more: you just travel back in time...

Since 2009, since I have modmyscript, I've seen many, i mean many PHM websites. After these years, my conclusion is simple: you need hard work to succeed. M. said it here too.

Probably it is hard to believe, but there are PHM owners here getting x0.000 USD/month from this 40 USD script. They just invented something new and they just got their niche. Probably you dont believe me but trust me. We are proud to work for some of them.
Be inventive. Offer smth different. Work hard.

Waist not your energy here, writing posts. Just go and make your website better. Even written in MS Word. Keep goin' and keep the faith.
Last edited by muzikia on Jul 07, 2012 8 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby mephisto on Jul 07, 2012 8 am

Code: Select all
The message still is, (and you already agreed with this) Melody is in serious Search Engine trouble.

Where did I ever agree to that? I never ever have agreed to something as silly as that. Everything I know and experience every day agian and again with my own sites goes against that, so why on earth would I have agreed to something like that?

I know that you don't "like" muzikia, I've noticed that on other posts on these forums, but that's your problem, and it doesn't have anything to do with this discussion. And I am well aware of the fact that by now you probably even like me far less than muzikia, and I can't exactly blame you for that either, now can I? Yes I have been rude trying to crack some facts into your thick skull. But still, if you don't like me, that's tough for you. I don't come here to be liked or admired or consulted or whatever. See how you're doing it again? You are the one that insists on coming up with yet another personal dig at me. You know what, Daryl? Hate me, please hate me, for all the hate you have in your blood, but that still won't change the facts that I have posted here that have demolished all of your claims.

Your futile and absurd claim that I would ever have agreed to phpmelody having problems in the search engines is about as low as you can go. Don't you have any better arguments, really?

And you tell me I shot myself in the foot! You just deleted a perfectly functioning and good site with hundreds of good links in all search engines, and all of that work of the last 2 years is just gone in one fell swoop, just so you could go on this ludicrous crusade that can not be supported by ANY facts, none whatsoever.

The reason why I keep answering, even though I said so often that I was done with you, is because you're the most entertaining thing happening on these forums! At least you got that going for you. :twisted:
Last edited by mephisto on Jul 07, 2012 8 am, edited 4 times in total.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -6

Postby muzikia on Jul 07, 2012 8 am

The reson why I keep answering, even though I said I done with you, is because you're the most entertaining thing happening on these forums!

agree. it is like a soap opera :) a Spanish one !!

You just deleted a perfectly functioning and good site with hundreds of good links in all search engines, and all of that work of the last 2 years is just gone in one fell swoop, just so you could go on this ludicrous crusade.

totally agree. this was insane. only to prove, what ?
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 07, 2012 8 am

Now, let's look at your claims that your site is doing JUST fine. Your Alexa Number is 561, 288. This means that it doesn't even register on Alexa and has a really crappy Search Engine rating. I am not happy unless my site is under 100k in Alexa and not on the first page on the search engines for the keywords. Your site, totallyfuzzy.net isn't even on the first 100 listings in Google for key words. It's so far down there, I couldn't find it. I only know of ONE Melody site with a decent rating and that is the documentary site (kudos to that person). Before Panda, there were a number of us with a much better rating than you have. Mine was just about to break under 100k in alexa and started moving into the top 4 pages of Google and the 3rd page of Yahoo. Yours will never do as well as many of us did before panda. Your site is a jumbled mess that NO search engine will ever care for. If it weren't for the extra text you have on the pages, you would be closer to 10 mil in alexa. But I imagine if we wait a bit for the Search Engines to notice that you have the same text over and over, your rating will keep going up. If that is the site you think is doing so well then you have really, really low standards. Like other Melodies, I realized that it was in extreme trouble and am taking steps to correct it. The only correction you can do is just sit and watch others succeed while you continue to fail.

The only thing you prove with the above is that

1. You have absolute faith in Alexa, whereas every webmaster that is worth that title knows Alexa is a relic of the past. The only reason why so many sites are still falling back on them is because they make their irrelevant data publicly available. I don't know what my Alexa ranking is and I couldn't care less. If my site would be #3.000.000.000.000 on Alexa it wouldn't make a difference. How many people do you know that have the Alexa toolbar installed, that's the requirement for them to be able to collect their data. I have never known one person to use their toolbar, yet. Except you probably.

Some Important Disclaimers

The traffic data are based on the set of toolbars that use Alexa data, which may not be a representative sample of the global Internet population. To the extent that our sample of users differs from the set of all Internet users, our traffic estimates may over- or under-estimate the actual traffic to any particular site.

source http://www.alexa.com/help/traffic-learn-more

It's Alexa's problem, not mine, if my visitors are not dumb enough to install their toolbar. If they ever even heard of Alexa to start with.

Mine was just about to break under 100k in alexa and started moving into the top 4 pages of Google and the 3rd page of Yahoo.

If this is true - if it's not just another unsubstantiated claim of yours - then somebody should really beat the cr*p out of you for deleting your phpmelody site. Honestly. What the hell were you thinking! You didn't even have to delete it because it was in a subdirectory. You could have started your experiment in parallel with it in the root directory.

Your site, totallyfuzzy.net isn't even on the first 100 listings in Google for key words. It's so far down there, I couldn't find it.

First; my video site is at totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube, not unimportant. It's in a subdirectory.

Second: what keywords were those that you used? Again you're posting a meaningless statement here. This has always been your tactic. If you don't say which keywords you used then your statement means absolutely NOTHING. And the results mean just as little. All those people that are reflected in my stats obviously clicked through from google. I don't know what you searched for, maybe I don't have it on my site, so the result would only be logical, no? So, what's the problem? And what have you proven? That you don't know how to use google to establish these facts. That's what I have said all along. Thousands of people click through to my site every day... and increasingly so, as my stats above clearly show. So what are you going on about? You're just deluding yourself. Instead of being prepared to learn you just keep rambling on and on and reiterating your ignorance of some of the most basic principles any webmaster should be familiar with. Mentioning keywords without saying what those keywords are is saying nothing. It's just making noise.

top 4 pages of Google and the 3rd page of Yahoo.

I hardly ever look any further than the first page if I search for anything myself but whatever. Since we don't know what keywords you used it's meaningless anyway.

Your site is a jumbled mess that NO search engine will ever care for.

Too bad google analytics doesn't agree with you, nor does Bing or yahoo. Not to mention our daily visitors. Hmmm... try a little harder Daryl. Come on, you can do better than that. I'm willing to accept this as your own personal opinion, you're entitled to that opinion. I won't even argue that. But as far as I know and as my stats show us search engines don't have opinions.

But I imagine if we wait a bit for the Search Engines to notice that you have the same text over and over, your rating will keep going up.

WTF are you talking about? How many video pages did you even look at? Did you even look at the video site at all?

The only correction you can do is just sit and watch others succeed while you continue to fail.

Well, I wish you and the others the best of luck with that. And I mean that. I have no benefit or advantage from others failing, so good luck to all of you. Including you.

-

Now just for the fun of it
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/tvmoviesforfree.com
and because you insist on treating Alexa as the gospel
tvmoviesforfree.com Alexa Traffic Rank
Global Rank
93 Sites Linking In

looking at those sites linking in, those are almost all advertising/classified ads pages, you've been a busy boy.

Audience Snapshot
Based on internet averages, tvmoviesforfree.com is visited more frequently by males who are in the age range 55-64, have no children, received some college education and browse this site from work.

The age group is a niche you have decided to cater for, that goes with your content, nothing wrong with that, except that
I am not happy unless my site is under 100k in Alexa and not on the first page on the search engines for the keywords.

is very unlikely to ever happen for that niche and age group.

There is not much else there because you just rank to low for them. Which I don't have a problem with, so no offense meant in that regard.

-

And to avoid this thread ascending into a my site is better than yours discussion because that's not the issue here - but that is why I had already blotted out the numbers of my analytics stats pics because it was predictable that you were gonna take that road for lack of any other arguments.

I repeat that my site is doing just fine. Maybe your expectations are so much higher. Obviously from what you mentioned above. That's your problem then, not mine. I don't have to live from my site, I have a pretty solid and stable income from my work as developer. Nor do I have the ambition to ever do so in the future. I have enough money to live a comfortable life and I have plenty of time to waste on discussions like this one. My sites are just my playground and my sandbox where I can mess around trying out new things come up with some new ideas. And they pay for several of my monthly bills, which does come in handy, but that's where it ends for me. I've been working online for the last 13 years, I know what the place is about, I know most of its ins and outs pretty well by now, and I also know how much hot air and crazy and exaggerated expectations are involved. I don't fall for any of that hype. I'm way too grounded for any of that mumbo jumbo.
Last edited by mephisto on Jul 07, 2012 10 am, edited 3 times in total.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 07, 2012 9 am

So now you are demanding things. As for the 5 links of Melody's that are in trouble I won't post those. You would but I won't. It is embarrassing enough as it is to have those really high numbers and low search engine ratings. Those that have them know and we don't need to be pointing out that who they are.

Just to meet you halfway I'll accept that as a valid argument for reasons of fairness. I wouldn't post them either for the same reasons.

BUT I do not accept your method of establishing what would have happened to any of the sites you may or may not have investigated, based on nothing but the very questionable and unreliable Alexa data. You'll have to come up with something better. I don't accept your methods nor their data as having any validity and I have no reason to believe that you know what you're doing or even that you know what you're talking about in that regard.

Unless I see evidence to the contrary, the evidence that I have provided is the only FACTUAL EVIDENCE in this discussion. And that proves beyond any doubt that PANDA has not affected ALL phpmelody sites. Because it clearly has not affected my video site. I'm willing to accept that it might have affected SOME sites, including yours, but I'm also sure that in that case it didn't have anything to do with the SEO.

The burden to deliver the evidence to backup your claims is on your shoulders. Until you do so, your complaints are speculation, misunderstandings, misconceptions, rumours, gossip... whatever one wants to call them. If anybody else wants to post their google analytics data or any other stats here to prove your point, fine go for it. We can look at the site and see what the possible reasons might have been. And those could be manifold and totally unrelated to SEO.

Taking a constructive turn then: what are the SEO improvements you want? What does PANDA need that phpmelody isn't providing, according to your theory at least? Because I can't see anything reading through what I've found so far. Or is Andrew supposed to figure all that out by himself? In which case version 1.7 will be for 2016 probably.

And if you want to continue rebuilding your site you might want to test your pages with
http://validator.w3.org/
before you continue.
Or you'll have to do everything over again because of all the problems with your new pages.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 07, 2012 6 pm

Your "Evidence" would be called "Circumstantial" evidence at best. Google and Alexa are closely related. May not be owned by the same company but they are closely related. If your Alexa number is sky high then your SEO is going to be low or close to non existant. We talk about adding quality text to go with our videos. Videos, as a rule, get penalized badly. For one, the competition is so fierce. There are probably approaching a million sites that rebroadcast embedded material from Vimeo, Youtube, etc.. That means the content in text needs to be paid attention to.

Plus, I am sure that you have read in here where it is better to NOT use the Youtube discriptions. There is no doubt in my mind that Google Search religiously checks to see if yours is the same as youtube. It's then listed as duplicate and that is worse than no synopsys at all to the search. In your type of site, there is no way that you can watch each and every vid you post so you may not have a choice but to use the original synopisis. When someone is trying to set the record on the MOST of the MOST the text something has to give.

Now we get into the differences between Music Vids and TV/Movie Vids. Most in here already know the ins and outs of the Music Vids. But a handful of us deal in TV and Movie Vids.

The TV and Movie Vids cannot show the same "Artist" over and over. I use that for the Stars. For TV, I used that as the TV Show Series. Guess what, for TV, you end up getting dinged for "Duplicate" entries. Movies (which will be fewer in comparison) will come off in good shape. But for some reason, this type of layout harms even the movies SEO which generally will have a better synopsis than the TV Shows.

Yahoo, Bing, and Alexa still uses the Headers as part of the placing. Google uses the text content of the page. Here are some bad things about Melody and the fixes for them.

1. The stock header of the page needs to be allowed, in the admin section, to be manually changed by the Admin. That means an addition in the load and edit admin page of one line.

2. Allow the Admin Area to manually change the name of Artist to other names like Starring and Series.

3. Change the Title where it can be changed in the Admin Section to read Episode or Movie Title.

4, Here is the biggy. Add an integrated simple guestbook or forum area where interacting, news, etc. can be done. The ones that are the most successful have these and they are active only if an easy place to post the adds, deletion, changes and announcements.

5. Allow us to add alt text to the player for each one. That means the Vids just moved from a negative to a positive for SEO instead of just taking up space moving the Synopsis so far down the page it's off the Target Area. The Target Area for seach engines is the first browzer page. That is the most important area. Since it may not make it down to your synopsis, placing the first few sentences in your synopsis as alt text for the player would drive your SEO higher. This could be done automatically or have a place in Admin during loading or manual to do it by the Admin.

That's a good start. The rest would be up to us to make use of the tools made available.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -85

Postby muzikia on Jul 07, 2012 8 pm

I will let Mephisto to answer you to each proposal here.
My opinion is that you have no idea what you talking about.
1-4 are already done or easily to make it.
As for 5, hope I don't understand your English: adding an Alt to the player? WTF??

These are peanuts. M. is loosing her time with you.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 07, 2012 10 pm

muzikia wrote:I will let Mephisto to answer you to each proposal here.
My opinion is that you have no idea what you talking about.
1-4 are already done or easily to make it.
As for 5, hope I don't understand your English: adding an Alt to the player? WTF??

These are peanuts. M. is loosing her time with you.

Wow, the king of the Pirate type scripts and mods. Guess you aren't the better person. Since you brought it up about how bad I am, you open yourself up for criticism about you.

The bulk of your scripts have been lifted from the Free Script in here others made. Your Youtube script is in direct violation of the Youtube Terms of Service. Your game script is just an embedding of some cheezy games that the old games I run run circles around. Shall I go on? You certainly are a piece of work.

Since you have no idea what alt text is then I won't waste my time on you. Your script causes more trouble than it's worth and the best seller to remove the Youtube Logo is in direct violation of the Youtube TOS. You are a zero.

Since you don't have a whit of say about what Andrew does then you are just making loud noises trying to make yourself look more important.

Wow, one more set of ideas for you to steal.

BTW, my site just dropped another 10k in Alexa from yesterday to today doing exactly what I ask Andrew to incorporate. Now don't you too feel foolish?

Have a Nice Day.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 08, 2012 4 am

Your "Evidence" would be called "Circumstantial" evidence at best.

My evidence is based on cold hard facts coming from one of the most used and the most extensive analytics packages available online. Yours is purely fictional because as long as you don't provide us with any facts your story is just that: a story. Therefore: Fiction.

Google and Alexa are closely related. May not be owned by the same company but they are closely related. If your Alexa number is sky high then your SEO is going to be low or close to non existant.

This is your typical distraction tactic. You really should use your creative writing skills for something better, Daryl.
Google and Alexa have nothing in common and are in no way related. Google Analytics has trashed Alexa and turned it into a relic of the past. Alexa depends completely on the data provided by their toolbar. And Google has a reputation for not making any of their own search data available to anyone. They don't even say all that much about their algorithms to avoid their comments from being useful to any third party. They consider it all trade secrets. So where would Alexa get them from, if not from their toolbar? Google analytics works with javascript included in every page of your site and it measures and tracks each and every single visit, regardless of what browser - leave alone what toolbar - those visitors are using.

Videos, as a rule, get penalized badly. For one, the competition is so fierce. There are probably approaching a million sites that rebroadcast embedded material from Vimeo, Youtube, etc..

Videos as such don't get penalized, at all. Regardless of whether they are embeds or original material. I don't know where you get that from but that is simply not the case. Videos are neutral and perfectly legitimate content. If you do get penalized then it will always be for the rest of the content on that page. Or the lack thereof in most cases. But the video itself is never the cause of that. What does happen in relationship to your videos is that if you have the same videos that 10.000 sites already have then your site will become a lot less relevant to the search engines. If all you have on your site is Justin Bieber and Rihanna etc etc then you'll find yourself in trouble. If however you have Justin Bieber and Rihanna in amongst a lot of other videos that are not so wide spread then it won't hurt you at all. The global picture is very important. Just because search engines crawl a site page by page that doesn't mean that they are unaware of your entire site as a whole. All that information gets processed and makes a difference in your final ranking and the relevance of your site. If you have 20.000 videos or 2000 is already taken into account. And the bigger one doesn't always win, it will depend on the rarity of some of the videos.

We talk about adding quality text to go with our videos... That means the content in text needs to be paid attention to.

I agree, but this is not something anybody else, like Andrew, can fix, this is CONTENT and not SEO. And this is exactly the reason why so many sites got hit so hard after that PANDA update. I know that there's quite a few people around here importing videos from youtube by the dozen, including complete descriptions, and all youtube tags and everything else. I have repeatedly warned them on these forums for doing that. They have probably paid a high price for their laziness. That's not Andrew's fault.
And as I pointed out that is exactly why your new site is already in trouble. And it is very unlikely that it would have a better ranking anywhere because of that. Despite what Alexa may claim.

for TV, you end up getting dinged for "Duplicate" entries.

If your description text would have made a big enough difference this would not have happened. Duplicate content applies to everything on and in your page.
Look at this new page of yours
http://tvmoviesforfree.com/tv/andygriff ... dgoat.html
The Andy Griffith Show, A goat swallows sticks of dynamite in town.

is all the description you have.
on another page it is
The Adventures of Robin Hood ep 01 The Coming Of Robin Hood

"The Adventures of Robin Hood" gets repeated on every episode, if this would have been your artist tag that would not have posed a problem. I have over 100 videos of artist "Bon Jovi".
"ep 01" is what I call laziness. Is it so hard to write in plain english Episode 1. If you do know when it was broadcast add that as well. I don't know how much if any of this kind of information is available online, but that was your weak spot, I noticed that immediately the very first time I looked at your site.
"The Coming Of Robin Hood" as description is simply not enough to be considered meaningful content by search engines, and it's all that's left.
Instead of deleting your phpmelody site you should have taken your time to go back in and change these things on your old site. You don't have the problem music videos sites have, and that is that they need to stay up to date and have the latest videos available as soon as possible. You don't have that pressure. So if you would have devoted a bit more time on those descriptions it would probably have made a huge difference. And it would have been a lot more pleasant for your visitors as well. And search engines notice that and find that important enough to rate it.

Yahoo, Bing, and Alexa still uses the Headers as part of the placing. Google uses the text content of the page.

That is not entirely correct. They all still use and read the meta tags. ALL search engines do, even the ones you might never have heard of (yet). But those tags are no longer as important as they once were - meaning: they don't have the weight anymore that they used to have in the past. That is because so many people have been abusing them and were only using them to fool the search engines and to rig the game so to speak. Even google still uses them for the short decription in their search results usually. They are still part of the puzzle, they are just smaller parts now. Bing and Yahoo have followed Google in that regard. And Alexa is not a search engine so I don't know what they do or don't do.

To your proposals...
1. The stock header of the page needs to be allowed, in the admin section, to be manually changed by the Admin. That means an addition in the load and edit admin page of one line.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by this "stock header". Are those the meta tags you're talking about?
If so, then look into the code of the video page's php file (musicvideo.php on a regular site), to see how those meta tags are created. Your description for example, the first 250 characters I think are being used to generate the description meta tag. That means that if you understand the current system you can already play around with that by just editing your description. Explain what you mean exactly with this... "stock header"

2. Allow the Admin Area to manually change the name of Artist to other names like Starring and Series.

If I post a musicvideo, let say Mac Miller (Ft. Casey Veggies & Joey Badass) - America
then I change that when I post it. The artist name is always the same and is always only the main artist, anything else I move to the title tag.
Mac Miller (Ft. Casey Veggies & Joey Badass) then becomes Mac Miller
And America will become America (ft. Casey Veggies & Joey Badass)
All the information is still there, I just organise it better, because I have artist pages on my site I have to do that in order to not break the system.
I had to do that with Prince, Prince and the Revolution, Prince and the New Power Generation etc etc.
They all were changed to Prince, and whatever else was needed was added tot the title field instead.
You can do that too in a standard phpmelody install. You just need to rethink everything a bit so that it suits your needs.
In your case, I'll just make one up here
The Adventures Of Robin Hood - Episode 12: Robin Robs The Hood (starring Yul Brynner)
or
The Adventures Of Robin Hood - Episode 12: Robin Robs The Hood (featuring Telly Savalas)
All that information will now be in the video page's SEO url, on your site's pages, in the meta tags and wherever else it would be useful or required..
Artist is basically only the name of a database field. You can change that to anything you want, in the php code though. But it won't be possible to change that on the fly or per video in admin because of the way the links are being generated in functions.php. I'm sure that a bit of rethinking and adjusting to the system would go far beyond trying to change the entire system just for these few occasions.
And I don't have to tell you, phpmelody as the name suggests, is first and foremost conceived as a music video script. The fact that you can use it for other things is a bonus, but then you'd have to be able to manipulate the code, so php knowledge is required in that case.

3. Change the Title where it can be changed in the Admin Section to read Episode or Movie Title.

everything I said in the previous paragraph applies here too.

4, Here is the biggy. Add an integrated simple guestbook or forum area where interacting, news, etc. can be done. The ones that are the most successful have these and they are active only if an easy place to post the adds, deletion, changes and announcements.

I'm sorry but this goes well beyond what you can expect from this script. You're welcome to add any or all of these things yourself, they are all available in open source and free, and it's not even all that hard to add them. But to demand it would be included in phpmelody is really unfair and unreasonable.

5. Allow us to add alt text to the player for each one. That means the Vids just moved from a negative to a positive for SEO instead of just taking up space moving the Synopsis so far down the page it's off the Target Area. The Target Area for seach engines is the first browzer page. That is the most important area. Since it may not make it down to your synopsis, placing the first few sentences in your synopsis as alt text for the player would drive your SEO higher. This could be done automatically or have a place in Admin during loading or manual to do it by the Admin.

First: I repeat: it is a misconception to view videos as a negative. They're not. It's the way some people use and abuse them that eventually can make them a negative. If you have straightened out your content as we mentioned above, videos are perfectly acceptable content for all search engines. You will never get penalized for having a video on your page, but you will get penalized for the lack of other meaningful content on that same page. You're turning things around.

Second: there is no ALT tag for video content in the html or xhtml language specifications. Adding an ALT tag is not gonna do anything else but make your html invalid. That's about the worst thing you can do. Both browsers and search engine spiders are simply gonna ignore it because it isn't supposed to be there. Wherever you got that "trick" from, I suggest that you start to question their competence.

Third: a video is not read as "content" by search engine spiders, it is the rest of the page that makes or breaks your page and possibly your site. And it is only the textual content of your page that matters, regardless of how low on the page that is. Html code largely gets ignored - not completely of course, it scans for links etc - as it is not "content" but "layout". So where exactly on your page the text is, doesn't make any difference. Unless there is something very wrong they will scan your entire page anyway. This is old hat SEO nonsense, and it is exactly those practices that google has warned against and will no longer accept. Therefore: use at your own peril! If you'd be using your description meta tags properly it would be at the very top of the page anyway.

-

The most important things about what you call SEO, are not any under the hood fixes or tags and tricks but they have everything to do nowadays with the user experience on your pages and site. Google and several other Search Engines are becoming very strict in that. Google is now even penalizing pages for having too many ads on their pages, especially if they are all above the fold. If the first thing people see on your site, without even scrolling, is three ads, then you will probably be affected by this new policy and you will probably be penalized for it.

The irony of it is of course that the adsense side of google will tell you that that is exactly where your ads should be in order for them to be most effective.

Look at your site from your visitor's point of view, and not as webmaster or from a SEO point of view. The better the user experience, the easier the site is to use, the easier it is to navigate for example, the more relevant the information on your pages is etc etc, those are things that are becoming more and more important. Most of these things are already done excellent in a standard phpmelody install. The remainder is up to you, think about what you really need - much more than what you might want because you saw it somewhere else - what is useful here, what can improve the user experience on my site.

See
http://searchenginewatch.com/article/21 ... o-Many-Ads
Last edited by mephisto on Jul 08, 2012 5 am, edited 14 times in total.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 08, 2012 4 am

muzikia wrote:These are peanuts. M. is loosing her time with you.

I have the luxury of having much spare time ;)

As I said earlier, it's time that we get to the bottom of this recurring issue based on facts. Siva has been going on about this SEO issue for quite a while as well in the past. As have several other people. And Daryl probably won't be the last one either.

The exact way in which search engines work and operate is a well kept secret, and that applies to all of them. Nobody knows exactly how they work and how they process and evaluate and rank all their data. The complexity of all of it, just based on the little bits of information that have come out in the open in interviews etc. is pretty mindboggling. And that lack of knowledge about their systems leaves plenty of room for speculation and SEO fairytales that plenty of people have been able to make a lot of money from. Most of it is just a rip off. Google itself has always said that money spent on SEO was money wasted. All you have to do is follow their guidelines. And those are available to everyone and not all that complicated or hard to understand. Actually, most of them are pretty much common sense even.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 08, 2012 5 am

Lets see who is slipping now.

My site went from 1.385 mil down to 1.309 in just 1 days. And it's continually falling. I suspect at the rate of 84K a day, it should be quite a bit lower come a month from now. Using that trend, in 6 months, my site should be well below the 100K rating and in the first 2 pages of Google for the key words.

Now let's look at yours. You are at 564,205. You rose from yesterday from 561K. That's a loss of 3k a day. About what mine did right after panda was introduced. Given a 6 month time period, you should be seeing a 540K increase and a huge lowering in the Search Engines (not the good kind). That means, in 6 months, if the trend continues, you should be setting at 1 mil+ and losing ground. Whenever sites gain ground, other sites must lose ground.

Alexa is only one tool but it's a good one for an indicator for site health. If you follow it you can also see pretty much how you will do in the search engines. Your site is in trouble like Mine is. The only difference is, I admit it and am taking action to correct it. So keep slipping and I will keep gaining ground. I don't worry about your site, I just worry about mine. But, remember, you decided to run a comparison and you deserve the treatment you are getting.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 08, 2012 6 am

I'm really not interested in your Alexa hocus pocus Daryl. And I'm not even interested in comparing our sites because there's nothing there to compare in the first place. You have chosen your own niche with your own very specific content catering for a very specific target audience, and that doesn't have anything in common with mine. So what's there to compare?

Your visitors wouldn't be interested in my site and mine probably wouldn't have a clue as to what your site is about. So don't waste your time even trying to compare apples and oranges. There is no useful infornation to be had from this futile exercise. Even if we would be comparing Google analytics data it wouldn't make any sense. Even if our sites would be comparable, one day changes don't mean anything at all. I have seen spikes of 500% on one day and I have also had dips of 400% on another day. I even have had these for a whole week.

These daily checks will just drive you up the wall, and nothing more. I check my stats usually once per month, unless there's something funny going on. Given that it is now summer holidays, I can predict that the next 2 months traffic on my site will indeed be noticeably less than usual. That happens every year. The audience I cater for is a young audience and they like to enjoy their holidays... if they can even away from their computers I bet. I'm going for a long walk myself later on. During this time of the year Record Companies don't exactly release much either, it's festival season, bands are on tour, their albums have been released months ago, they are out on the road promoting them now, so there won't even be too many new official videos showing up on youtube over the next couple of weeks. That also happens every year. I even closed down my blog for a couple of days because there were simply no new full album streams available. It's just the time of the season.

I not only know the rules, I also follow the rules, but if despite all that google for example thinks other sites are more valuable and better than mine and deserve a better ranking than mine, then so be it. I never have been obsessed with it and I don't even have a problem with that. I'm not enough of an achiever to worry about something like that. I do what I do at the best of my knowledge and capabilities and if that isn't good enough well that's just too bad then. You can't better your best.

I have no interest in claiming here - or pretending, whichever you prefer - that I am better than you or that my site would be better than yours. So let's just leave that behind us. Nobody here cares about that.

If your site is really improving, well, as hard as I find that to believe, good on you. As I said before, I have no benefit or even some sort of perverse satisfaction or pleasure from seeing you fail. None whatsoever. I can be rude and I can be very mean in a discussion, especially if you start taking your irrational turns, but the sun still shines for all of us as far as I'm concerned, and that includes you.
Last edited by mephisto on Jul 08, 2012 7 am, edited 2 times in total.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 08, 2012 7 am

You know, you could have typed something like that before instead of the poison pen stuff. You CAN learn afterall.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jul 09, 2012 5 am

Hahaha ... well, if you keep pushing the boundaries of what to me is rational and logical then you're also asking for people to push back, and that is always equally - if not worse - irrational and exaggerated. And you did really piss me off with some of your remarks because I perceived it as spreading misinformation and accusations that were simply unfair and from what I know untrue.

If you would have asked for help when you noticed your site got into trouble, even if only based on Alexa data, I probably would have even helped you, or at least try to. But I was flabbergasted when I saw you had just deleted your phpmelody site. So there was nothing left to help you with anymore.

But whatever. If we both learned something from it it was probably worth it. And some people probably had some entertainment from it as well.

As you said in the title of this thread, Have A Nice Day. ;)
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Jul 09, 2012 7 am

There is only one site in here that could lend us all a hand and that site you have nothing to do with. He knows the secret while you and all the others are just stumbling in the dark. Like I was until I decided to do something about it. Yes, I have a couple or three areas that I frequent that are hot to trot for SEO and Search Engines. From what I can see, Melody largely ignores much of that and does poorly in search engines and SEOs.

Your site is growing worse on a daily basis. Mine is getting healthier. Like most, I let it go way too far before I did something about it. That is where you will be in the near future. Remember, for every site that goes down, another has to go up. Slow day over here. The Google referrals went up only 300%, the other referrals only went up a little and the Alexa only dropped 3000. Using the search words I present, I am now on page 38 instead of Infinity in Google. Yahoo is coming up as well (bing). The Alexa numbers don't show the increase that much. It reacts slower than the Search Engines. But it's a damned good indicator in the long run.

You demand that I should have asked for your help. I stated that only one Melody Site knows how to really do SEO for Melody and I doubt that person is going to openly say how they are doing it. You are somewhat in competition with them. Helping you hurts them.

With your site on the backward slide, asking you for help is like asking a divorced man what should another man do to make their wife happy. You end up with two divorced people who have all the answers.

Remember this, any ugly site that is on the first two pages of the search engines is much healther than a spiffy site on the 1200th page. Only one Melody site is on the first two pages and all the rest are off the charts. Now who would I believe, you or a couple of SEO experts? Give you a hint, don't give marital advice.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer