Loading ...

How to hide few categories from Homepage of v2.x ?

Board index / PHP Melody - Video CMS

For PHP Melody version 2 and newer

Postby 234Ent on Jan 31, 2014 1 am

Does anyone know how to hide one or more categories on the homepage of the new PHP Melody 2.x ?

I believe category.php has to be modified in order to achieve this?

Code: Select all
// MAKE SORT BY STICK
if(!empty($cats)) {
   $list_cats = list_categories(0, $cats);
   $smarty->assign('list_categories', $list_cats);
} else {
   $list_cats = list_categories(0, '');
   $smarty->assign('list_categories', $list_cats);
}
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 50

Postby webbiepublisher on Feb 17, 2014 4 pm

I emailed support about this the first week in january, after two email responses they said they'd post something. I pretty much gave up and just created my own menu instead. Just edit header and create links to the categories you want listed instead. It the solution I ended up using. Was hoping to offer only specific categories and videos on desktop, haven't figured out how to block the videos from that category showing up in search via desktop.
VPS Servers starting at $2 per month!!5GB+ Space
3.3GHz+ CPU
1Gbps Connection
1 IPv4 / 16 IPv6
Instant Setup!
webbiepublisher
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 24

Postby 234Ent on Feb 21, 2014 12 am

@Webbie thanks for your input. It would be really nice to be able to choose which categories show up on Homepage and even category navigation menu. And also, the ability to set custom meta data for Top Pages, New Videos, etc., just like we could do with categories.

To achieve the needed solution (hiding categories), I believe one or more of the PHP pages have to be modified; which is somewhat complicated since I don't really understand the code. I'll try contacting support on how to hide categories from Homepage, hopefully I get a response. If I do, will post the solution here.
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 50

Postby webbiepublisher on Feb 27, 2014 10 pm

234Ent wrote:@Webbie thanks for your input. It would be really nice to be able to choose which categories show up on Homepage and even category navigation menu. And also, the ability to set custom meta data for Top Pages, New Videos, etc., just like we could do with categories.

To achieve the needed solution (hiding categories), I believe one or more of the PHP pages have to be modified; which is somewhat complicated since I don't really understand the code. I'll try contacting support on how to hide categories from Homepage, hopefully I get a response. If I do, will post the solution here.

I just changed the header menu stuff and deleted the auto category populated data and instead inserted manual links to the categories I want listed. I also changed access to new videos to redirect to index.php.

Code: Select all
<li><a href="{$smarty.const._URL}/index.{$smarty.const._FEXT}" class="wide-nav-link">{$lang.homepage}</a></li>
                      <li class="dropdown">
                        <a href="#" class="dropdown-toggle wide-nav-link" data-toggle="dropdown">{$lang.category} <b class="caret"></b></a>
            <ul class="dropdown-menu">
         <p><strong><a href="/browse-Animation-videos-1-date.html">Animation</a></strong></p></li>
<p><a href="/browse-browserGames-videos-1-date.html"><strong>Browser Games</strong></a></p></li>
<p><a href="/browse-trailers-videos-1-date.html"><strong>Trailers</strong></a></p></li>
<p><a href="/browse-other-videos-1-date.html"><strong>Other</strong></a></p></li>
                        </ul>
                      </li>

Beats using the auto populated stuff for now. No solution from support yet, I also redirected newvideos to land on he homepage. Sadly the videos can still be discovered via search although I did turn off auto suggest for videos. I'm working on a solution for the categories on the mobile side as well. Will post what I end up with.
3.3GHz+ CPU
1Gbps Connection
1 IPv4 / 16 IPv6
Instant Setup!
webbiepublisher
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby webbiepublisher on Feb 27, 2014 10 pm

Oh and for the homepage you can edit index and take the new videos section and simply change the category to the one you want to display. I did that and copied the code and now have 5 categories on the homepage with 4 latest videos a piece. It's a dirty solution and not all that pretty but it does the job in a pinch.
3.3GHz+ CPU
1Gbps Connection
1 IPv4 / 16 IPv6
Instant Setup!
webbiepublisher
Verified Customer
Verified Customer