Loading ...

Stop SOPA

Board index / General Chat

Lounge & announcements forum.

Postby dhunt on Jan 20, 2012 9 am

Since I didn't use very much from them, I lost, maybe, 15 vids. I know some of you lost tens of hundreds from it. Shutting down mega is how it's supposed to work. Not us Embedders. Kill the actual pirate and the fleet dies with it. I really won't miss it at all.

Better to have things like they are rather than what they were proposing.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -85

Postby dhunt on Jan 20, 2012 10 am

musicuploadz wrote:
Youtube will never shut down there too big.

All of the downloaded music websites will get sued or shutdown no matter what.

Funny, ATT and Standard Oil thought the same thing. Microsoft did too but narrowly missed the mark. And by the dollar of the day, those three are many times larger than Google ever will be. IBM tight rope walks even to this day and compare office space by company size of the old IBM versus Google, Google gets a broom closet and IBM gets the rest of the high rise office building.

I don't see all the download music websites getting sued or shut down. It just causes a shift on the music onboard. One of the things I have been thinking about is to talk with the local bands and feature them. I am an old musician and know about the ASCAP/BMI rules that are much, much older and better enforced than DCMA. Local bands can perform without violating the copyright laws. Many would rather do that anyway. No Cover Tunes, easy.

I do suspect that Youtube, Google, Yahoo and a few others are next. Not by SOPA;/PIPA but the old laws that are standing now. It will affect my site miniscule just like the demise of MEGA has. In fact, it will increase the popularity.

BTW, Hulu is also heavily in violation of the Copyright Acts as well. Not just in some movies/TV shows but graphics as well. It wouldn't break my heart to see them popped as well since I think I have, maybe, 2 vids from them.

Give to Caesar what is Caesars.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby musicuploadz on Jan 20, 2012 2 pm

DHUNT your are right this SOPA does not apply to embeders its applies to people downloading illegal stuff. They will go to the source not you. Wow SOPA is dropping like flies they might not even have enough people to even vote LOL. But still all filesharing sites will be gone this year. It will clear up all the clutter in the google search.
musicuploadz
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 10

Postby Trace on Jan 20, 2012 2 pm

SOPA/PIPA will make linking to sites which break copyright illegal AND will make it possible to sue the sites which link to these sites.
The sites who link to the sites which break copyright are WE.

The whole problem with SOPA/PIPA is that it DOES apply to embedders/linkers, which is what all the fuss is about, because websites such as wikipedia and facebook could get shut down if they link to copyrighted content.

Get your facts straight!
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 1329

Postby dhunt on Jan 20, 2012 3 pm

I didn't say that embedders would be let off scot free. Muz assumed as such. Under the current laws, embedders are pretty safe. But under SOPA/PIPA this may not be true. As worded, even Obama won't allow it. And I don't think there is a chance in hadys that there is enough votes to override a Veto.

They are playing with the wording now. The good news is, with the partisan politics going on, they can't even order a pizza since they can't agree on the toppings.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer