Loading ...

Fair Use Act as pertaining to V1.7

Board index / PHP Melody - Video CMS / PHP Melody 1.6.x (old version) / Pre-sale questions

Any questions you may have.

Postby dhunt on Oct 27, 2012 11 pm

Under the fair use law, almost any long video can be displayed if it's done in parts. Here is something from my site that one of the contributors posted:

http://tvmoviesforfree.com/forums/index.php?topic=179.0

Code: Select all
Copyright Act 1976, section 107  for FAIR USE of a copyrighted work:

1)To avoid violations of intellectual property, the minimum amount  you can use is better. A video clip (15 minutes or less), in this case, is allowed. If the total amount of time from the video, surpasses 15 minutes, it is recommended to modify the content (cut scenes, add titles, invert images and so on) to avoid copyright infringements.

2)Educational purposes (add graphical or verbal descriptions about scenes, subtitles to teach languages and so on).

3)Non-commercial purposes (disable  the embedding codes for no addition to blogs or websites and the cut of a portion of the copyrighted work, so it can't be sold).

4)Criticism (add comments or likes among others, as you do at droopyvids).

Regretfully, it seems that there aren't anymore options to exhibit videos of the Major Studios of your Country (Columbia,Paramount,Universal & Fox). I  have excluded Warner, because this one in particular is very punctilious about its products and FAIR USE does not apply for them.

By the opposite , there is a channel called TL Novelas at CABLEVISION & SKY in Mexico, in which soap operas from past decades are exhibited in a period of some months, and you can upload them to YouTube, after this time, without copyright infringements.There's no marketing of DVDs in TELEVISA. They prefer sponsors' advertisements to gratify their money demands.

This was posted by one of the poseters from outside the US. It's a welcome addition.

This area is for discussing the Copyrights of Videos of Movies and TV. We could use your help. It's not a discussion for pirating, it's a discussion where we can try and come up with something fairer than the Mickey Mouse/Sonny Bono act.

If any or part of SOPA gets implemented, you can be sure that many of what we show for full length tv and movies will disappear and we might be held liable if we embed it. With the addition of Traces new Mod, it keeps us within the Fair Use Act where we can legally show less than 15 minute segments by stringing them together. Being able to utilize the Youtube Playlist is exactly what is needed to keep us on the air.

I was off the air for about 6 hours over The Andy Griffith Show where 9 fell into Public Domain Status years ago. CBS went to court and got them recertied under the "Previous Works" ruling, backdated the copyright and went after all the sites that were displaying them hard. Well, except for Youtube, that is. I have tried to play by rules but the rules keep changing on whims. The Youtube Playlist is about the most important thing for Melody to come down the pike.

I am not going write Andrew about it. I would rather he ignore the emails and get V1.7 finished than answer any emails from me. If he does see this, just press on Andrew.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -85

Postby webbiepublisher on Nov 06, 2012 5 am

Interesting post and while I do agree with you working around the system is important one part we cannot dismiss is that these companies aim to make us all examples when we fight back..for example your stringing of separate pieces of content may be a workaround and they'll assume you don't know it..how the conglomerates win is by forcing you to lawyer up..this is something rather difficult for most site owners as most of us don't do webmastering as a primary occupation and most don't have that cool kind of boss who'll be ok with you going to court non-stop for a year or two to fight for your rights..in the long run they win unless of course you are an emerging business with investors who will have no choice but to fight for the business. The folks from ninja video spent hundreds of thousands of dollars they raised via donations fighting the system only to eventually have to take plea deals because they couldn't keep up the fight anymore. I have a friend who is an entertainment attorney..by his own words "My job is to make my targets life a living nightmare" and while yes these studios could curb all of that easily by making the content available via embed codes and still collecting on the ad revenue within the player they want it all..the only difference between visiting a networks site and yours is usually one ad hit..in reality you allowing me to take videos from your site post them on mine actually is me advertising your content for free and getting you more ad hits than you would otherwise. It's exactly how hulu makes them money the only difference is that hulu can offer a network $5 million a month in ad revenue and we can't but 50,000 webmaster vs 1 hulu= 50,000 webmasters would produce more profit for the network running it's own ads in the player.
VPS Servers starting at $2 per month!!5GB+ Space
3.3GHz+ CPU
1Gbps Connection
1 IPv4 / 16 IPv6
Instant Setup!
webbiepublisher
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 24

Postby dhunt on Nov 06, 2012 5 am

I know that there is legislation on the senate floor right now. Major sponsors are all the Movie, Radio and TV. They just can't seem to find a solution that will not induce extreme ire. Otherwise, we would all be out of business. Yes, this affects the Long Play, full episode Movies and TV as much as it will affect Music.

Court is the last refuge and we both agree we will lose sooner or later (probably sooner) only if by default.

Or we can wait until it nears passage and do a SOPA uprising. This only means they will try and find another way to back door it all which is where they are today. Not the best solution. And we don't have the millions for the war chests like the Conglomerates have. Still not a solution. Sort of like closing the barn door after the cows get out.

Here is the best method. The last time I contacted a Polititians Office by phone I was asked one question, "And whom do you represent". Everything past that point is just lip service and it never even gets considered. A single voter is absolutely unimportant to these people.

The best way is to band together and present a reasonable proposal based on the 1893 for TV and Music Videos. Mexico may be part of the Berne Act but they have their own thoughts. Anything broadcast on TV or Cable that is strictly TV or Cable has a 25 year shelf life for Copyright. Movies and Music has a 50 year shelf life. Not the 70 years plus the life of the Author or 95/120 years from the time of conception (broadcast or Movie Release) that the US has. If we grouped together and presented this to our Senators as a group under one name it would make them at least read it. And, it's been seen that it the law changed to a more reasonable time would fall under "Promoting Creativity" unlike the huge GREED factor it is today. And it would not be overturned in our court system with the most recent rulings.

My voice and your voice and anyone elses voice without the millions for the war chests just isn't heard. But OUR voices spoken together does one thing that gets their attention. While we don't have millions of dollars to spend on the campaign, we do have millions of votes. Jeapordize their jobs is more affective then the millions in the war chests. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Gentlemen we must all hang together or we shall most assuredly all hang separately".

I am not afraid of court action on the using slices of the programming to present what appears to be the whole thing. I already crossed swords with CBS on that, it squarely falls under the "Fair Use Act". They can't get one single judge to accept it the hearing. Any court below the Federal Appletate Court must accept the ruling. And to go above that, it would have to be the Supreme Court and they already kick the recent rulings back into the Appelate Courts laps. My Provider is well aware of this (some little bird whispered it in their ear, I be a BBBAAADDD Boy) and they are big enough to stand up to CBS on the issue when we are right. Smaller ISPs probably won't. Companies like CBS can muscle them if need be. But so far, that hasn't happened. But if we sit by as individuals, it very well could be part of the law that is on the Senate Floor. Paid for by companies like Disney, Universal, etc..

There it is. The way things are being attempted to go puts us all out of business. And Yes, CBS is REALLY ticked off at me and are aware that I won't back down and there is exactly nothing they can do about it under the existing laws. This is why they are pushing so hard to make Embedders as liable as the uploaders. We would either have to be pirates or shut down or be shut down. 'Gentlemen we must all hang together or we shall most assuredly all hang separately'

Daryl

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Nov 07, 2012 6 pm

I guess the majority in here wants embedding to be outlawed. Sad, real sad.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer