Loading ...

Upload Problems

Board index / General Chat / General Product Chat

Our humble work and the community behind it.

Postby Rude on Mar 13, 2012 1 am

I Have been having upload problems ever since i purchased the script..I'm constantly on my servers ass to fix the problem and they still continue to blame the problem on the php script..Here's The Latest.

Please explain to the remote service provider that our PHP is running as CGI module in SuExec higher permission settings than 755 are not allowed by the server. Still your files will be working correctly with settings 755 and you will be able to properly upload new files without any issues as long as their module works correctly.

Best Regards,
Kiril I.
Technical Support Team

This is what i usually Get:

Could not retreive the name of the uploaded file. Make sure the "/admin/tmp.pm" file has the required permissions (0777) and then try uploading the video again.

Sometimes uploading works and sometimes it doesn't work....
Last edited by Rude on Mar 13, 2012 1 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rude
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 0

Postby Rude on Mar 13, 2012 1 am

Again they blame the script.......

Hello

Thank you for the update. What the representatives of php melody told you is not entirely true. It is generally the case with web servers, but it very much depends on the server setup. Let me explain you why this is not true on all our servers and how the permissions under unix systems are working.

As you can probably see, the permissions consists of three digits, each one of them represents the corresponding permission level for the role it is assigned to. In this particular case, the permissions and roles are as follows:

7 - The first number is for the file owner, that is -- your username. 7 allows you to read, write and execute this file.
5 - The second number is for the file group, which is the group of the above username usually. 5 allows you to read and to execute but it does not give you the option to write to the file.
5 - The third number is the permissions everyone else on the server has for this particular file. Again 5 allows them to read and execute it but cannot modify it.

Since our PHP is setup to run under your account user, the effective permissions for the PHP processes are represented by the very first number of the permission mask, which in this case is 7 and gives you full permissions over the file (or directory, for that matter).

This is why, due to the way our servers are setup, the permissions of 777 are equal to 755 and 777 are usually not recommended, because it gives full access to everyone on the same server (which is not something we, or you, would like to set).

Having that said, it must be a problem with the application itself that is preventing you to upload files properly. Perhaps there is a more verbose (i.e debug) mode which can show you what might be the problem, but I can only recommend you to get in touch with the app developers for further information on that point. I'm sure they will be able to help, as they know their code best.

If you have any other questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Best Regards,
Val M.
Senior Supervisor,
Technical Support Team
Rude
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 0