Loading ...

PHP Melody v2.7

Board index / General Chat / Announcements

News and announcements from our team

Postby naveedali on Aug 26, 2016 9 am

if i add user: Add New User

An MySQL error occurred while adding this user: Field 'channel_settings' doesn't have a default value

This indicates a problem with an incomplete update in the past. Happy to help you fix this issue at no cost. All we require is FTP access to your installation.

Thanks.
naveedali
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 10

Postby vidderman on Sep 03, 2016 3 pm

I had a member of my site send me an angry email because his employer Googled his name and found the videos he uploaded highly offensive. He is an account manager and his boss said that if he could find this content that easily so could his clients.

I had attempted in a prior discussion to stress the importance of keeping usernames separate from real names. There is no need to display both on the site.

Pick one and stick to it. It is confusing to use 2. Do you use 2 names on this forum. I am not talking about your role but actually 2 different names to refer to yourself. No. You are not Andy, or Roger. It wouldn't make sense. I sent a list of all the possible places where real name could be changed to username but I guess it didn't matter. From now on I will change this manually on every update.

People use this software all over and some Governments are not as forgiving on free speech. People should not have to have their real names show up in search engines connected to sites they would like rather be kept private. Whatever. If something happened to someone how would we ever know anyway.

Actually the story I told earlier never happened but that doesn't mean something like that never will but sometimes I think people may take action only when it's too late. Guess what? It's not too late.
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 5

Postby Andrew on Sep 07, 2016 1 pm

I had a member of my site send me an angry email because his employer Googled his name and found the videos he uploaded highly offensive. He is an account manager and his boss said that if he could find this content that easily so could his clients.

They do have a point and to be fair, if that person wished to remain anonymous he should have done so. It's the internet, everything is out in the open.
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
https://demo.phpmelody.com/admin/series.php
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby vidderman on Sep 07, 2016 3 pm

You misunderstood.

• The employer "Googled" his name. His employer is not "Google"
  • The story is not true but just highlights a possible issue
  • Your platform makes it difficult for someone to remain anonymous.
  • You registration process asks for and then display real names.
  • Facebook login complicates the issue because you can't even edit username. Real name is default and displayed.

You may have no issue displaying your real name but if we were to do a survey of people in this discussion group who use their real names I think it would be easy to see most don't and probably prefer not to.

It's seems to me this is an issue you do not consider an issue so I will have to come up with some modification.

Even though you may feel different about this I believe it's unfair not to give the option for those for whom it might make a difference. How I could see this in this case is leaving the option for username in tact after someone from Facebook joins
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby Andrew on Sep 08, 2016 3 pm

Completely agree. I've done a search for the use of the 'Your Name' field within the v2.7 themes and I can no longer find it.

It must have been replaced with the username in this last update.

If you can find an instance within the 2.7 version please let me know. We'll completely remove it in the next update and I'll be glad to help you remove it.
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby Andrew on Sep 08, 2016 3 pm

Had to do a double-take on this to make sure I wasn't talking trash.

I was. My bad.

The name still appears in the meta title and meta description on the user's profile/channel page.

To take the name out simply open /user.php

Find:
Code: Select all
$meta_title = sprintf($lang['profile_title'], $profile_data['username'], $profile_data['username'], _SITENAME);
$meta_description = sprintf($lang['profile_description'], $profile_data['username'], $profile_data['username']).' | '._SITENAME.'. '.fewchars(strip_tags($profile_data['about']), 40);

Replace with:
$meta_title = sprintf($lang['profile_title'], $profile_data['username'], $profile_data['username'], _SITENAME);
$meta_description = sprintf($lang['profile_description'], $profile_data['name'], $profile_data['username']).' | '._SITENAME.'. '.fewchars(strip_tags($profile_data['about']), 40);

And (optionally) in /lang/english.php

Find:
$lang['profile_title'] = '%s (%s) on %s';
$lang['profile_description'] = 'The latest from %s (%s)';

Replace with:
$lang['profile_title'] = '%s on %s';
$lang['profile_description'] = 'The latest from %s';
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby vidderman on Sep 08, 2016 3 pm

I can give you all the instances I have found in the lastest version as I have manually edited this and made documentation of the parts of the program where this shows up.

I can understand the issue for you in having trouble identifying this as in your demo every member except the admin has the same username and name. So it would be very difficult to tell which is which.

In your demo, admin is the username and Mr. Admin is the name.

Notice, you will see Mr Admin show up in the memberlists.php which by the way I find useful (even though it is not a link in the menu) as a way for members to find other members,

http://demo.phpmelody.com/memberlist.php

Also in the playlist section

http://demo.phpmelody.com/playlist/CBEAB66CC72E

And the activity feed and also when the user leaves a comment.
http://demo.phpmelody.com/user/admin/

http://demo.phpmelody.com/porsche-gt3-r ... 60bcf.html

but I will send you a full list
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby Zimation on Sep 27, 2016 4 pm

Hi Andrew,

I think what Vidderman is saying is accurate.

In youtube, no one can see my username - just the name I have chosen them to see.

Could you please look into this and make usernames just a way to login but not appear for users or in the URL
Zimation
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 0

Postby vidderman on Oct 01, 2016 12 am

Recently renewed my service. I will post a link soon with all the locations where name is used instead of username.
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby documan on Oct 01, 2016 5 pm

This has an easy solution simple add noindex tag to the member & memberlist pages and once deindexed block them on robots.txt... these pages should not be indexed as they do not have any value...if you deindex them noone will be able to find them unless on your site
documan
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 40

Postby kamilp on Oct 06, 2016 4 am

My site has gone to Maintenance Mode (2.5 to 2.6 update) and says Please wait in admin panel after pressing UPDATE button, it has been more than an hour and still the same.

.htaccess file was uploaded correctly and everything went well..can someone assist? Andrew?

I disabled the maintenance mode but the update is still not complete?

Press 'Update' to finish the update process.
This automated process should only take a few minutes to complete.
Please wait...
kamilp
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby aliakrep on Oct 31, 2016 1 pm

How to fix this error ?

aliakrep
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 10

Postby HarrisonK on Nov 08, 2016 5 am

naveedali wrote:if i add user: Add New User

An MySQL error occurred while adding this user: Field 'channel_settings' doesn't have a default value

This indicates a problem with an incomplete update in the past. Happy to help you fix this issue at no cost. All we require is FTP access to your installation.

Thanks.

I just performed a clean install and I'm getting this same error. I'm not entirely clear on your post here, but I don't see an answer/solution.

Thanks
HarrisonK
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby sekarbg on Dec 15, 2016 2 am

after installation .. partially loaded webpage .. then click anything means it show like ...

The requested URL /search.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request...

I done all instruction
sekarbg
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby 24HourMedia on Dec 16, 2016 4 am

does it work with PHP7?
24HourMedia
Non-verified
Non-verified