Loading ...

PHP Melody v1.8

Board index / General Chat / Announcements

News and announcements from our team

Postby dotch on Dec 30, 2012 9 am

234Ent wrote:The all new PHP Melody 1.8 looks great so far. However, I'm still not sure if I should update yet or wait for more bugs to be found and fixed.

I've opdated from 1.6.7 to 1.7 and 1.8 automatically trough the update packages and haven't had any serious problems. Only one minor thing: Google Analytics stopped tracking, although it said it was receiving data. After I reinserted the code, everything was fine again.

234Ent wrote:Since the artist field is no longer available in 1.7 and 1.8, are indexed links (URL) modified in anyway or remains the same?

As far as I can see, the old links are modified. The artist field is no longer a directory, but becomes part of the file name. So the "/" slash is gone and replaced by a "-" hyphen.

234Ent wrote:Does this not affect SEO? Even though the old video link still work!

My thoughts (I'm not a SEO expert, if they really exist):

I don't think so. If you don't update your sitemap.xml file, the old links are still there. Once you update, your sitemap in 1.7/1.8, it grabs the new links. I suppose you can rename your old sitemap's name into sitemap_old.xml or sitemap2.xml and submit the old sitemap in Google Webmaster Tools. Double sitemaps are no problem for Google.

I think the old links are still in the .htaccess file (haven't checked this) and this is picked up by Google as well

Besides that, to my experience it can take weeks or even months for links to drop out of Google and new links are picked up quickly.

Fourth: many visitors are returning visitors, or arrive trough referal links and will find your site anyhow.

It's a great update and I also had some doubts (my theme is not available yet in 1.8), but I can recommend this update to anyone. We have to go on and not stand still :)
dotch
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 0

Postby djkizzer on Dec 30, 2012 10 pm

in 1.8 im having this problem in security. I got this from site lock message saying
URL:http://www.euradiopinoy.net/contact_us.php?%3D1%26Submit%3DSend
message%26image_text%3D1%26importance%3DNormal%26msg%3D1%26select%3DSelect one%26your_email%3D1%26your_name%3D1
Cross site scripting vulnerability found in args:,Submit,image_text,importance,msg,select,your_email,your_name

could somebody help me.....And i need to buy a more vibrant template.
euradiopinoy.net
djkizzer
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby 234Ent on Jan 01, 2013 7 pm

dotch wrote:
234Ent wrote:The all new PHP Melody 1.8 looks great so far. However, I'm still not sure if I should update yet or wait for more bugs to be found and fixed.

I've opdated from 1.6.7 to 1.7 and 1.8 automatically trough the update packages and haven't had any serious problems. Only one minor thing: Google Analytics stopped tracking, although it said it was receiving data. After I reinserted the code, everything was fine again.

234Ent wrote:Since the artist field is no longer available in 1.7 and 1.8, are indexed links (URL) modified in anyway or remains the same?

As far as I can see, the old links are modified. The artist field is no longer a directory, but becomes part of the file name. So the "/" slash is gone and replaced by a "-" hyphen.

234Ent wrote:Does this not affect SEO? Even though the old video link still work!

My thoughts (I'm not a SEO expert, if they really exist):

I don't think so. If you don't update your sitemap.xml file, the old links are still there. Once you update, your sitemap in 1.7/1.8, it grabs the new links. I suppose you can rename your old sitemap's name into sitemap_old.xml or sitemap2.xml and submit the old sitemap in Google Webmaster Tools. Double sitemaps are no problem for Google.

I think the old links are still in the .htaccess file (haven't checked this) and this is picked up by Google as well

Besides that, to my experience it can take weeks or even months for links to drop out of Google and new links are picked up quickly.

Fourth: many visitors are returning visitors, or arrive trough referal links and will find your site anyhow.

It's a great update and I also had some doubts (my theme is not available yet in 1.8), but I can recommend this update to anyone. We have to go on and not stand still :)

Thank you Dotch, good to receive a well responsive feedback from you! Well appreciated!

As for the Sitemap, I guess I'd have to start using the 'Video Sitemap 2' after upgrading to 1.7 and then 1.8 (I've only used Sitemap 1).

I know most people running a music video site are still unhappy with the sudden changes in 1.7/1.8, especially with the Artist Field gone. I actually have one PM music video site that ranks first page for a popular/competitive keyword, among other keywords, and I'm afraid the missing 'Artist Field' will affect traffic from Search Engines once upgraded. But I should be fine with my non-music sites.

As for the templates, I've been wondering too: Why other templates were not updated to be current with the new releases? Why only select few? I bought some templates a while back that I'm yet to download or use for new video projects, and I'm hoping I'd be able to do so with a fresh installation of 1.8 - but my template has not being updated.

I know Andrew announced in one of the threads he's taking a vacation, I do hope he'll update other templates upon arrival or at least let us know what's the plan with other templates.

Happy New Year guys!
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 50

Postby djkizzer on Jan 02, 2013 4 am

Hellu guys Newbie here....just need some help here, I just recently bought A Ruby Template , is it compatible with 1.8? and how would I upload and replace the default one, Whcih folder I'll replace.

Thanks
djkizzer
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby nzpoint on Jan 02, 2013 4 am

From where u downloaded it says for what version. U need to upload it to template directory. Pdf file should be included with ur download. Read it. From admin panel select setting and chose whiich template
nzpoint
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 10

Postby dotch on Jan 02, 2013 7 am

djkizzer wrote:in 1.8 im having this problem in security. I got this from site lock message saying
URL:http://www.euradiopinoy.net/contact_us.php?%3D1%26Submit%3DSend
message%26image_text%3D1%26importance%3DNormal%26msg%3D1%26select%3DSelect one%26your_email%3D1%26your_name%3D1
Cross site scripting vulnerability found in args:,Submit,image_text,importance,msg,select,your_email,your_name

could somebody help me.....And i need to buy a more vibrant template.
euradiopinoy.net

Are you sure, your not tricked into something? This could be spam as that website is a serious website with the .com domain. Cross site scripting is more a theoratical problem than a real threath.

You have to start new topics for every new subject btw.

(from my phone)
dotch
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby djkizzer on Jan 02, 2013 10 am

Thanks Dotch,
djkizzer
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby 234Ent on Jan 02, 2013 6 pm

Anyone successfully upgraded their site from 1.6.7 to 1.8 and don't mind showing? I'd like to see the outcome of a successful upgrade, so post link to your upgraded site if you don't mind or PM the link - whichever is best.
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Dulci on Jan 02, 2013 9 pm

Adding tags schould be a lot easier i cant copy paste a list of tags. blabla, jajsja, jsjdjsjd, uiwuiwiwwi, instead i have to add it 1 one 1 wich is a lot more work :)
Dulci
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 3

Postby 234Ent on Jan 02, 2013 11 pm

Don't tell me video tags is disabled in 1.7/1.8? I just looked at 3 or more videos in PM demo and didn't see no tags!

I even added some tags to a particular video from admin panel and still nothing showed in the Front-end! Is this for real or what's really going on here? Somebody enlighten me!
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby nzpoint on Jan 03, 2013 2 am

234Ent wrote:Anyone successfully upgraded their site from 1.6.7 to 1.8 and don't mind showing? I'd like to see the outcome of a successful upgrade, so post link to your upgraded site if you don't mind or PM the link - whichever is best.

I think dont upgrade, stay with 1.6.7
This is an email I had today from my host and they are giving me 5 days to sort things out.. this is happening since i upgraded to 1.8.. if anyone can comment or help with this would be awsome

After reviewing your account I've come up with some recommendations based on the type of website you're running. It appears that your highest user is "xxxxxxx" whom is currently using PHP Melody under their account. They are utilizing 4153.22 of the 5510.49 Resource Points your account is consuming on the server appear to be very video heavy. As such the following optimization tips may be of use to you in working towards reducing your resource usage on the server:

- Enable caching. This is helpful for reducing the impact of your website on the server.
- Combine and minify CSS/Javascript/HTML pages in order to reduce the amount of work the web server has to perform and to ensure sites load faster.
- Compress images. Smaller images load faster and require less space on the server, but also have the added benefit of reducing how much work the server has to do to load them.
- Optimize MySQL database and queries to ensure your websites are running quickly and efficiently
- Disable/remove any modules/plugins installed which you are not actively using.
- Ensure all installed software/plugins/modules/themes are fully up-to-date.
- Move static content (images, videos, etc.) to a CDN which will not only take a significant load off the server, but will enable faster page loads for your visitors since they will be loading the content from a server close to their geographical location.

Once you've run through the above tips your website should be utilizing less system
resources, as well as running faster and more efficiently. Should the resource usage remain high, however, we will suspend your account.
nzpoint
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dotch on Jan 03, 2013 8 am

I think this not a PHP Melody issue, but a hosting issue, especially, when you upload your own video-files and are on shared hosting. Shared hosting is always frustrating. Shared hosting providers sell you cheap hosting plans and as soon you’re customer they try to push you to more expensive plans, cause you use to much resources.

I’ve been there too, seen it all. I’m on a VPS now.

Stick to external videos like YouTube and go to a VPS (virtual private server) or dedicated server Plan. A VPS is cheap these days, and not difficult to set up. I paid only EUR 90,-- for the first year and EUR 180,- for the next years (Server4You). But I think even cheaper is possible today.
dotch
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Trace on Jan 03, 2013 9 am

Big sites need bigger servers. If all your content is hosted externally then the usage is doable, but with the amount of traffic you get you still need a vps.
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 1329

Postby nzpoint on Jan 03, 2013 9 am

Trace wrote:Big sites need bigger servers. If all your content is hosted externally then the usage is doable, but with the amount of traffic you get you still need a vps.

all the content, beside thumbs are hosted externally. I do not upload videos to this account.. just thumbs
nzpoint
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Trace on Jan 03, 2013 9 am

Yes but with many visitors you still need more than a shared hosting since the amount of mysql queries, data transfer from pages etc are high.
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 1329