Loading ...

PHP Melody v1.8

Board index / General Chat / Announcements

News and announcements from our team

Postby nzpoint on Jan 03, 2013 9 am

Trace wrote:Yes but with many visitors you still need more than a shared hosting since the amount of mysql queries, data transfer from pages etc are high.

your maybe right, but why I didnt have this issue before 1.8? i mean looking at resorse usage, it has gone up all of the sudden.. and i did mentioned before on other topic which you replied about my search engine traffic is halfed since the new 1.8

I used to have 44,000 impression and 2000 clicks (before install 1.8 and running 1.67) and right now is down to 20,000 impression and 900 clicks.
which suggest less traffic and should not effect server resorse.. if my traffic was the case I should have had more problem before with more traffic, not now!!
nzpoint
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 10

Postby Trace on Jan 03, 2013 9 am

Maybe your host didn't check it before?
I haven't checked much on server resource usage yet in 1.8 so I can't say much about it. Wouldn't surprise me if there are some inefficient mysql queries somewhere.
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 1329

Postby nzpoint on Jan 03, 2013 10 am

I have access to my resource, i have a reseller account and in my WHM I can monitor this myself. I do see a spike in resource usage for that account which i run melody on since upgrade.. I did disable social plugin and also removed all these related video, top video, popular videos.. and also reduced the number of new videos on homepage and monitoring it for day or two to see if any changes.

else going back to 1.6.7 if finger cross I kept a copy of backup or just move it to my cloud server
nzpoint
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Trace on Jan 03, 2013 10 am

Did you remove it just in the template or also in the PHP code which actually loads it?
Related videos has always been a big resource eater.
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby nzpoint on Jan 03, 2013 10 am

Trace wrote:Did you remove it just in the template or also in the PHP code which actually loads it?
Related videos has always been a big resource eater.

:) i removed it in the template, isnt that just enough? how and which file should i remove the php code for those?

I did also disabled site stats as well.
nzpoint
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Trace on Jan 03, 2013 10 am

I'd comment these lines in watch.php
Code: Select all
$related_video_list = get_related_video_list(array_pop(explode(',', $video['category'])), 10);
$top_rated_video_list = get_top_rated_video_list(array_pop(explode(',', $video['category'])), 10);
(that is for disabling the related videos)
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby wilzer on Jan 03, 2013 5 pm

Looks great and the latest patch is great, HOWEVER, still a problem for me is the thumbnail image degradation on upload. In the previous version I could change the thumb image url but can't find that on 1.8. BUT, would like the ability to turn off rendering for thumbnails and upload just like the video file. PLEASE :)
wilzer
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 0

Postby nzpoint on Jan 03, 2013 10 pm

Trace wrote:I'd comment these lines in watch.php
$related_video_list = get_related_video_list(array_pop(explode(',', $video['category'])), 10);
$top_rated_video_list = get_top_rated_video_list(array_pop(explode(',', $video['category'])), 10);

Thanks for this, after removing and disabeling all those thing, I got an email saying my account has been disabled and this is seems to be eating the resourses

Top Process %CPU 142 /usr/bin/php /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ajax_search.php
Top Process %CPU 68.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxxxxx/public_html/watch.php

what else could i do to lower the cpu usage? what does ajax search.php do? is it the live search function?

Thanks
nzpoint
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby 234Ent on Jan 05, 2013 6 pm

dotch wrote:I think this not a PHP Melody issue, but a hosting issue, especially, when you upload your own video-files and are on shared hosting. Shared hosting is always frustrating. Shared hosting providers sell you cheap hosting plans and as soon you’re customer they try to push you to more expensive plans, cause you use to much resources.

I’ve been there too, seen it all. I’m on a VPS now.

Stick to external videos like YouTube and go to a VPS (virtual private server) or dedicated server Plan. A VPS is cheap these days, and not difficult to set up. I paid only EUR 90,-- for the first year and EUR 180,- for the next years (Server4You). But I think even cheaper is possible today.

I've been considering VPS from Server4You for a while now but yet to make up my mind, are they any reliable? I've read both good and bad reviews about their services.

Plus do you have to have knowledge on how to setup/manage the VPS yourself? I ask this because I've never used a VPS before and have little to no knowledge on how it works.
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 50

Postby 234Ent on Jan 05, 2013 6 pm

nzpoint wrote:

Thanks for this, after removing and disabeling all those thing, I got an email saying my account has been disabled and this is seems to be eating the resourses

what else could i do to lower the cpu usage? what does ajax search.php do? is it the live search function?

Thanks

@Nzpoint sorry to hear about your experience. I'm seriously hoping this is not a PHP Melody problem, can anyone else who have upgraded to 1.8 confirm this??

I hope you get things sorted out with your host provider.
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby muzikia on Jan 05, 2013 7 pm

For sure he has a host which limit the CPU and the memory usage more than the standard.
Try other host as well.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby Trace on Jan 05, 2013 7 pm

nzpoint wrote:

Thanks

Ajax_search.php is indeed the live search.
Watch.php is likely the related videos queries being executed. Since you disabled those it might solve the problem.
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby nzpoint on Jan 05, 2013 8 pm

I am using site5, to be frank and honest here, i have been with many host before.. I have been online doing stuff since 2002 (on and off) but something I should confess is site5 is one of the best ever host. support, security, uptime, you name it.. I just dont want to move host, there are surely host around and to migirate it would take just couple of hour, but than headech of host doesnt worth it, unless someone can suggest a good hosting that is as good.

I also have got a cloud server with 1&1, which just bought before new year and trying to move some stuff there, but not sure how good they are and just testing them now. but support of 1&1 sux so far.
nzpoint
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby 234Ent on Jan 06, 2013 12 am

So it's a server resource issue. Hope 1&1 meet your needs, they seem to be reliable.

This 1.8 still have quite some pressing issues that needs to be addressed. One is the video tags issue.

Does anyone know what to do with the video tag issue in 1.8? Not able to enter multiple keywords (tags) by copying and pasting as it was in 1.6.7? Which means each video tags have to be manually entered.

This is a huge disadvantage in 1.8 as it decreases the ease of you, especially for PM sites that have some sort of big audience; to now be spending 15 mins to compute something that you were previously computing for less than a minute in previous stable version. Is there no way to fix the video tag issue?
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby THE12ESE on Jan 08, 2013 6 am

Still have the version 1.67 and will update to new versions now. THANK YOU for the current update!

What I would need to see in your future updates would be the following:

1) Facebook/Twitter Registration and Login.

2) PM (Personal Messages) between Users and Admin.

3) REPLY option to Comments - It would be nice for Users to just click on the REPLY button instead of making a new comment.

4) LIKE for Comments - Users would have the option to LIKE a Comment.

5) ARTICLES' Private option can be viewed by Registered Users - Right now, v1.67 is not viewable by anyone when set to "Private".

Thank you so much in advance!
Share and tie a ribbon on gifts worldwide - Giftsakes.com
http://www.giftsakes.com
THE12ESE
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 0