Loading ...

Introducing PHP Melody 1.6.6

Board index / General Chat / Announcements

News and announcements from our team

Postby Andrew on Jan 17, 2011 5 pm

Greetings forum!

2011 just began but we've already bettered PHP Melody. And this is only the beginning! ;)

Today, we announce PHP Melody 1.6.6 which you can download from your Customer Area account.

You'll surely enjoy the improvements and bug fixes brought on by version 1.6.6. The complete list of changes is available on the "What's new" page.

This release may mark a glorious end to the 1.6.x releases and move PM to version 1.7.
As you may know, PHP Melody 1.7 will have a brand new framework and a whole more potential.

This topic serves as a discussion ground around the 1.6.6 release. Basically, if you encounter any problems, let us know. We'll be here to help you.

Thanks for being here for us.

- Download (Update or Full Package)
- Change log for 1.6.6
- Buy a new license
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
https://demo.phpmelody.com/admin/series.php
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby Trace on Jan 17, 2011 5 pm

Nice work :)
I swear I was about to email you if you had any indication on how long it would take till next update (since im still on 1.6.3 and still need to take some time to upgrade :P) when I noticed the post at Facebook :P
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 1329

Let us know if you run into any trouble updating Trace.
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
Andrew
Founding Developer

Trace wrote:Nice work :)
I swear I was about to email you if you had any indication on how long it would take till next update (since im still on 1.6.3 and still need to take some time to upgrade :P) when I noticed the post at Facebook :P

Let us know if you run into any trouble updating from 1.6.3 :)
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby Stylers on Jan 17, 2011 5 pm

Thank You Andrew Nice Work
can i do fresh installation ? there is some modification in mysql
i want upgrade from 1.6.5 to 1.6.6

Thank you
Stylers
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 0

Stylers wrote:Thank You Andrew Nice Work
can i do fresh installation ? there is some modification in mysql
i want upgrade from 1.6.5 to 1.6.6

Thank you

If you want to just update from 1.6.5 then you'll find the right package under "Download Updates" from your Customer Area menu.

You can also perform a new installation but for this you need the package found under "Download Products" (Customer Area menu).

Let me know if you have other questions :)
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby InoculateIT on Jan 17, 2011 5 pm

I got no facebook like botton.

Instead I got this:
http://www.universe.dk/melody.png

:(
InoculateIT
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby adysnake on Jan 17, 2011 5 pm

Thank You Andrew ... i upgrade to 1.6.6 at first sight everything is ok

but ... bookmark not work for me ...

has anyone encountered this problem or am I wrong somewhere? :)

tnx, ady
Last edited by adysnake on Jan 17, 2011 6 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adysnake
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 20

Postby mephisto on Jan 17, 2011 6 pm

Code: Select all
This update applies only to PHP Melody 1.6.5. If you have an older PHP Melody version installed you cannot skip directly to v1.6.6 until you bring your site up-to-date, which means running v1.6.5.

In plain english, instead of finally changing your hopelessly inadequate upgrade policy you even take a step back! Now the previous (buggy) upgrade is even a requirement?
Why don't you just formally say here on these forums that phpsugar doesn't care one iota for all those people that spent a lot of time on modifying their sites and tried to make it into something unique.
You only matter here if you have a default install. Maybe with a bought template.
But that's where it ends.
Your upgrade policy says it loud and clear even if you refuse to.
If these are only bug fixes, why not post them here on these forums, one by one.
How is anybody else supposed to find all those bug fixes in all that code?
This is insane, it's too crazy for words.
So now you got another version number, and nothing else, at least not for your users.
What was supposed to work in 1.6.5 allegedly works now in 1.6.6... over a month too late.
Well we'll see about that... if recent history is any indication...
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -6

Postby Andrew on Jan 17, 2011 6 pm

If these are only bug fixes, why not post them here on these forums, one by one.

I'm mentioned this a lot of times before. The forum users are just a part of the whole customer base. The rest of the customers need such a package. Not eveyone is in your position.

Why don't you just formally say here on these forums that phpsugar doesn't care one iota for all those people that spent a lot of time on modifying their sites and tried to make it into something unique.

What the? We take a lot of time to make the manual update package. That is for people that spent a lot of time customizing their sites.

I'm quoting from the "1st READ ME.PDF":
The manual update is intended for modified/customized PHP Melody sites.
All our updates are based on the original code and templates.
If you wish to update heavily modified site please proceed with extra care to avoid any problems.
Instructions for the manual update procedure are presented in the _manual_README.txt file.

See, you're embarrassing yourself. Criticism is good, blame is always bad. Appreciate the first, not so much the latter.

I don't get it mephisto. What exactly are you looking for? Tell me in plain English what you want from me.

@InoculateIT, @adysnake:

Make sure you have this code in your style.css:

#detail_page_share_link ul { list-style:none; padding:0px; margin:6px 0 0; }
#detail_page_share_link li { background-image:url('images/social_logos.gif'); width:16px; height:16px; display:inline; font-size:13px; margin-right:1px;}
#detail_page_share_link a { width:16px; height:16px; display:inline-block; text-decoration:none;}
#detail_page_share_link .twitter { background-position: -220px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .digg { background-position: -44px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .reddit { background-position: -154px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .furl { background-position: -88px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .google { background-position: -110px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .technorati { background-position: -198px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .live { background-position: -242px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .yahoo { background-position: -264px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .stumbleupon { background-position: -176px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .delicious { background-position: -22px 0; }
#detail_page_share_link .facebook { background-position: -66px 0; }

The FB "Like" button needs to be enabled from Admin Area > Settings
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby muzikia on Jan 17, 2011 6 pm

I did the manual update from 1.6.5. on a modified version (frontend as well as admin area). No problems.
Thank you for the update.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby Andrew on Jan 17, 2011 6 pm

I did the manual update from 1.6.5. on a modified version (frontend as well as admin area). No problems.

Good to know. Actually, Paul made the tests on this one and I was a bit anxious of releasing without testing myself. I've had the meanest cold so, I've been pretty useless.

Let's all thank Paul for doing a great job!
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby muzikia on Jan 17, 2011 6 pm

Thank you, Paul.
I really know how difficult to write is that "ADD REPLACE BELLOW" thing ... :)
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby celenco on Jan 17, 2011 7 pm

mephisto wrote:
This update applies only to PHP Melody 1.6.5. If you have an older PHP Melody version installed you cannot skip directly to v1.6.6 until you bring your site up-to-date, which means running v1.6.5.

In plain english, instead of finally changing your hopelessly inadequate upgrade policy you even take a step back! Now the previous (buggy) upgrade is even a requirement?
You only matter here if you have a default install. Maybe with a bought template.
But that's where it ends.
Your upgrade policy says it loud and clear even if you refuse to.
How is anybody else supposed to find all those bug fixes in all that code?
This is insane, it's too crazy for words.
So now you got another version number, and nothing else, at least not for your users.
What was supposed to work in 1.6.5 allegedly works now in 1.6.6... over a month too late.
Well we'll see about that... if recent history is any indication...

I usually like your insights but common dude, there are ways of expressing an opinion that does not have to result in bashing. I can see your point but your tone is out of line on this one. I think Andrew and the team are trying, they might make mistakes but it is our job to tell them how to improve on this wonderful product, there is no need for anger or bashing. Thanks Bud.
celenco
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mephisto on Jan 17, 2011 7 pm

You know who'll be laughing tomorrow? The nulled scripts sites. You always provide them with the bug fixes they need.
Instead of limiting those to your registered users here.

What I want? It's very easy and very obvious for anybody with half a brain. If there's a bug, tell us how to fix it, and stop pushing new upgrades down our throats with a lot of fanfare every couple of months just to fix your previous blunders (and add new ones most of the time). Fixing a bug on average takes 2 minutes, an upgrade for some 2 weeks. You dumped a very buggy release on this community in december and then you disappear for a month, taking a holiday. WTF? Are you even halfway serious? Some of those bugs were pretty annoying and you forced everybody to put up with them for over a month! So much for respect for your customers. You're entitled to your holidays but FIRST you fix the problems that require your attention if you have the least bit of consideration for all the people that depend on you. If I didn't know how to fix my own problems I would have dumped this script ages ago.

I give up. It will simply never change. You're not even listening. And I can't be bothered anymore. Do what you want. I'm out of here. To hell with all this nonsense and the sheer incompetence. If you feel that way inclined ban me. See if I care. I'm done here.
mephisto
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -6