Loading ...

PHP Melody v2.5 (November, 2015)

Board index / General Chat / Announcements

News and announcements from our team

Postby Andrew on Nov 12, 2015 2 pm

Hi guys,

It's finally Thursday and this means it's time for a brand new PHP Melody update. We consider v2.5 to be the nicest update of the year, but then again, we're definitely biased.

Even so, we're happy to share with you the results of our work.

If you're already using PHP Melody v2.4 you can download the 2.5 update package from your customer area account. Log in and go to 'Download Updates' to download the phpmelody_25_update.zip file.

Only go to the 'Download Products' page only if you plan on starting a brand new video site from scratch. And always update using the official update packages because the MySQL database needs updating as well.

To learn more about v2.5, please check out our blog announcement and/or the product change log.

We really hope you'll enjoy this new release and we're happy to receive your feedback, questions or bug reports.

Thank you very much for your feedback and support. Enjoy PHP Melody v2.5!

Footnotes:

[1] Backup. Backup. Backup. If anything goes wrong you can always rollback.
[2] We've performed tests to ensure the update works out of the box. However, given the wide variety of possible hosting configurations out there and the possibility of critical bugs, consider applying this update in a test environment first.
[3] All PHP Melody themes have also been updated as well. If you're using anything but the 'default' PHP Melody theme, you'll want to download the the latest version of your current theme and use it instead of the existing one.
[4] Applying the current update to any other PHP Melody version besides v2.4 will only crash your site. Always apply updates without skipping any versions.
[5] Mobile Melody v3.3 was released today to include a few fixes as well as a couple of new features.
[6] If you need help with your customer area account, or have any questions for that matter, please get in touch via customer support.
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
https://demo.phpmelody.com/admin/series.php
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby vidderman on Nov 12, 2015 3 pm

I think this update was appropriately named the "nicest" update and not the "greatest" update because I feel this will be in the future. However, the updates are nice indeed nice ones. I'm surprised I am the first to weigh in here but then again I have been counting the hours for this update.

Questions:

1. Categories
[*] Will there be pagination as more categories are added?
[*] Will you consider adding an alphabetical header for categories so we can filter by category letter?

2. 2.5 Update
[*] Will there be a full listing of what was updated in detail or is all of it in the blog post?
[*] What is the chronology of the following updates (ie themes, other updates for this year)?

3. CSV Importing
[*] Does csv import allow for importing embed codes as opposed to video urls? (I imagine so but just wanted to confirm.)

4. Autoplay
[*] What determines the next video to be play?
Last edited by vidderman on Nov 12, 2015 4 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 5

Postby maniaka55 on Nov 12, 2015 4 pm

Thema "Carbon" not work "EU cookie notification"
maniaka55
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 10

Postby Sander on Nov 12, 2015 4 pm

When you downloads the newest mobile melody you receive a corrupt .zip file.
Is it possible to download the newest version somewhere else?
Srananpoku, A complete collection of the best Surinam music.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/srananpokucom/
Sander
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby vidderman on Nov 12, 2015 4 pm

My personal feedback
(not the truth or be all end all, just my personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own. No need to reply to any of this. Not meant to be a back and forth. You are welcome to share your own thoughts rather than react to mine. Just saying this up front in case some think this is something more than it's not.)

1) Unmatched Video Importing - Ok, nice. Can't complain. Will actually have to see this in action but I don't think there was that much of a call from users for "Unmatched Video Importing"

2) Auto-play Videos - This is just "meh" for me but I guess it's keeping up with the Jones so I guess that's good. I wasn't that aware of its impact to user engagement and ad revenue so this may have a greater benefit than I am realizing. As for user engagement I guess I would focus more on improvements to the "Social" module which I believe could use updating. This is on par if not more important for user engagement I would think. The profile options are fixed. I can't even replace Last.fm with spotify or any new emerging social links.

3) New Custom Video JS Skin - I really like this. Creating something visually distinctive and well designed. It's not a functionality update but it's nice.

4) JW Player 7 Support - You can never go wrong with tricking and pimping the player.

5) Featured Categories on Homepage - This is very useful for showcasing more content than can be displayed in the little playlist on the front page. It will help get more users viewing possible click bait on the front page.

6) Categories Page - Very good. Updates a key feature for video discovery. Would be just a little better if it were to include the alphabetical sorting that is already found on the members page. Just a little more to get across the finish the line.

7) Bulk CSV Import - Killer feature. I really like this one. This gives much love to the admin in helping to run their network along with the Unmatched video support.

I am a disappointed that more of the features requested in the "Help us build the next update!' which seem like minor adjustments were not incorporated. I was expecting a lot more of these would get addressed. This seems more of a technical update than an update to increase usability for members (exceptions are the category enhancements)
Last edited by vidderman on Nov 12, 2015 5 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby Andrew on Nov 12, 2015 4 pm

1. Categories
[*] Will there be pagination as more categories are added?
[*] Will you consider adding an alphabetical header for categories so we can filter by category letter?

2. 2.5 Update
[*] Will there be a full listing of what was updated in detail or is all of it in the blog post?
[*] What is the chronology of the following updates (ie themes, other updates for this year)?

3. CSV Importing
[*] Does csv import allow for importing embed codes as opposed to video urls? (I imagine so but just wanted to confirm.)

4. Autoplay
[*] What determines the next video to be play?

1.a. Pagination defeats the purpose of this page but a solution will be added (if required).
1.b. Not at this moment.
2.a Yes: http://www.phpsugar.com/changelog-25.html. If you need more details, you can always compare the files side-by-side. The list would be too long to write.
2.b To be announced. But updates and themes will be developed in parallel form now.
3. No.
4. It's a JavaScript event controlled form/by the player.

Thema "Carbon" not work "EU cookie notification"

Are you using the latest Carbon theme or the theme that what was already installed? Because the themes have to be updated separately by using the newest theme files.

The EU Cookie Consent feature works well in all themes. Here's a live demo with the Carbon theme: http://www.phpsugar.com/themepreview.php?themeid=2

Note: The warning will not appear again if you've already clicked 'agree' when the message was first shown.

When you downloads the newest mobile melody you receive a corrupt .zip file.

Perhaps the download was initiated just as someone was writing the file. Please try again, the ZIP appears to be intact. Also, use a ZIP extractor instead of an all-in-one software or WinRAR. If everything fails, I'm happy to email you a copy :)
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby vidderman on Nov 12, 2015 6 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for the update as I am sure I am not aware of all it took to bring it to us and you are not aware of all you will have to do to make sure it is stable. I also appreciate the freedom to provide feedback however just as well want to take the time to appreciate work done and the freedom to criticize it and point out issues (which there may be more of before the day is through) :-)

vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby maniaka55 on Nov 12, 2015 6 pm

thank you
maniaka55
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dukebelred on Nov 12, 2015 7 pm

Mobile melody corrupt file,I tried, winrar, 7zip, but does not work.
dukebelred
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby eshayem on Nov 12, 2015 7 pm

Thanks, nice update
eshayem
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 0

Postby vidderman on Nov 12, 2015 8 pm

The "What's new" link on the front page next to "New version available! PHP Melody v2.5 is out now!" still points to the 2.3.1 Change log.
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby vidderman on Nov 12, 2015 8 pm

Can't extract the mobile melody zip. The following issues

[*] Extract wizard says file is empty and throws an error
[*] File is labeled version 3.2 when the site says it should be version 3.3
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby Andrew on Nov 12, 2015 8 pm

Quick update: Mobile Melody was indeed OK but the update entry in our database was incorrect. Long story short, Mobile Melody 3.3 is available for download.
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby mangmang on Nov 12, 2015 9 pm

How do I download the New Mobile Melody update?
mangmang
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 0

Postby vidderman on Nov 12, 2015 9 pm

Go to your account PHP Melody account and it should be there under downloads.
vidderman
Non-verified
Non-verified