Loading ...

PHP Melody v1.9 (Beta)

Board index / General Chat / Announcements

News and announcements from our team

Postby muzikia on Feb 17, 2013 7 am

praveen wrote:Anything on the artist field?

The new 1.9 will have no artist field or custom field unfortunately.
Hope I am wrong though.
Even if this one of the most requested feature to have it back the team didn't reach a technical compromise.
It was so nice in 167 with that simple field.

Anyway we only hope will see it again soon.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby ciberlinker on Feb 17, 2013 7 am

Pre-roll ads?
It just seems I like a big mistake these type of Ads, the users leave websites emit That This Type of Advertising (Ask yourself if They Like pre-roll of YouTube ), I would opt for a better less intrusive advertising, for example "overlays" .
ciberlinker
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 33

Postby muzikia on Feb 17, 2013 7 am

Overlays can be implemented at the player level.
I agree with you on the pre roll ads. Andrew had many requests in it and decided to simply implement it in 1.9.
Probably some will benefit.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby Andrew on Feb 17, 2013 7 am

Anything on the artist field?

Custom fields didn't make it in this update. However, the relevance for "Related videos" will increase drastically. From what I understand this is a major reason for wanting custom fields or the "artist" field back.
Nevertheless, custom fields are certainly coming in a future update.

My question, is the Cinema theme going to be fully compatible with 1.9?

Yes, all our themes are always updated by the time a new version comes out. The only exception was the migration from v1.6.x to v1.7 and that's because v1.7 uses a totally different layout.

Is there language autoselect? Not sure
Will be planned paging on first page (home screen)? (next versions)
Will be planned easy adding custom player?

At first we decided to include the language auto-select code you sent but it didn't made it in the final cut.
Homepage pagination made sense only if we included dynamic content and that's a bit tricky for some search engines to index. Google knows how to read javascript but I wouldn't rely on it just yet.
Custom players are pretty easy to integrate even now because all the player code is within "player.tpl" and that can be swapped in an out easily. There's not much we can do there.

I hope metacafe videos are now working
and break videos as well with jwplayer

Metacafe has been sorted (to my knowledge). This is the first time i hear about break.com being broken.

Just like we have "LIKE or No Like" underneath each video, can you please do that for articles and include it in the latest version ?

Improvements on the article mod are stil scheduled. If time allows it, we'll have some in this update.

I received some bug reports...
Since the bug reports are anonymous I can't really reply to them. So, here are two bug reports that we can clarify.

1) "Instructions on how to add videos, along with the supported video sites has disappeared." - These instructions were moved to the "Help" section. Each page in the admin area has a "Help" tag (top right corner) with relevant information about the page you're on.

2) "The Plugins tab is missing in the beta." - The plugin framework requires manual activation. It has not been removed.

All in all I hope you like the progress being made.
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
https://demo.phpmelody.com/admin/series.php
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby dhunt on Feb 17, 2013 10 am

Andrew,

You "Sorta" fixed the IE10 problem but not quite. Your only comments were that you could not duplicate it and you would no longer support outdated OS and Browsers. Yet, you "Sorta" fixed it in Version 1.8.1. And it's "Sorta" fixed in Version 1.9. I don't ask for all the bells and whistle, although they are nice, but I do require it to work. Work every time, no errors, no screen problems, etc.. The last version you put out that fit that bill was 1.6.7 after a bunch of fixes were done to it. 1.6.7 and below doesn't care if the Compat switch is on or not or whether you are using IE10, 11, Firefox, etc.. It just works and it works every time. This is what I have been trying to get you to understand. If it doesn't work every time for every popular browser then it's not right. And 1.9 is still not quite right in the html dropdown menu coding department. I awknowledge that you did work on it for version 1.8.1 and would be grateful if you admitted that a problem did exist or at least said you were looking into it. That is all I have asked for. But you still hold that there is no problem in Public. Meanwhile, you are answering questions on "Wishlists".

I hope you understand my position.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -85

Postby praveen on Feb 17, 2013 10 am

Andrew wrote:

Custom fields didn't make it in this update. However, the relevance for "Related videos" will increase drastically. From what I understand this is a major reason for wanting custom fields or the "artist" field back.

Forgive me if i say the understanding is very much wrong.

Allow me to explain the main requirement for the artist field using my situation:

I have couple of agreements with video content providers who give me the content and also run ads on them. The revenue made from these are shared between us.

From time to time, they bring in specific campaigns for my site and i need to deliver x impressions. If content provider A is bringing me a campaign, i can then modify the featured video to show only his videos and also showcase his videos outside phpmelody by filtering using his name. So if artist == contentprovider A then show his video (could be random or could be latest or anything else).

Now without this artist(or any custom) field, how do i showcase only his videos???

So the artist field not only is required for the relevant videos (which in my opinion is not quite that important) it is also extremely important to do things like what i have said above.

what i have told you is just one of the main ways the artist page can be used. Since it was there from the start, ppl like me have used it to customize our sites but now we have to start from scratch (almost).

Hope you understand the need, now.
praveen
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 0

Postby Andrew on Feb 17, 2013 1 pm

@dhunt - I've installed IE10 on my working computer (Windows 7 Ultimate) and as expected, everything works fine. Trace confirmed this as well so the problem might be with your machine or because the 'compatibility mode' enabled.
Attached is a screnshot in case you don't trust me.

@praveen - Thanks for your input. Yes, there are plenty of implications that come with having that extra field. Really hope to solve this in the next update. Until then, v1.6.x is an excellent build with close to zero bugs/problems. You're right, there's no need to upgrade if you don't have to. Especially since your site is one of the nicest v1.6.x ones out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby praveen on Feb 17, 2013 4 pm

Andrew wrote:@praveen - Thanks for your input. Yes, there are plenty of implications that come with having that extra field. Really hope to solve this in the next update. Until then, v1.6.x is an excellent build with close to zero bugs/problems. You're right, there's no need to upgrade if you don't have to. Especially since your site is one of the nicest v1.6.x ones out there.

Thanks Andrew :).

I like 1.8/1.9 but i cannot take a gamble with it. I shall keep my eyes open for this in the next update. Until then i will stick with 1.6.7.
praveen
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby mqrasi on Feb 17, 2013 6 pm

praveen wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Forgive me if i say the understanding is very much wrong.

Allow me to explain the main requirement for the artist field using my situation:

I have couple of agreements with video content providers who give me the content and also run ads on them. The revenue made from these are shared between us.

From time to time, they bring in specific campaigns for my site and i need to deliver x impressions. If content provider A is bringing me a campaign, i can then modify the featured video to show only his videos and also showcase his videos outside phpmelody by filtering using his name. So if artist == contentprovider A then show his video (could be random or could be latest or anything else).

Now without this artist(or any custom) field, how do i showcase only his videos???

So the artist field not only is required for the relevant videos (which in my opinion is not quite that important) it is also extremely important to do things like what i have said above.

what i have told you is just one of the main ways the artist page can be used. Since it was there from the start, ppl like me have used it to customize our sites but now we have to start from scratch (almost).

Hope you understand the need, now.

Hi Praveen:

option#1 : Alternatively You can pick any other field such as ID to do your "IF id = XYZ" ... do this or do that.

option#2: you can maintain a style such as the old way "artistname - songname" AND for each query do a "EXPLODE" of "TITLE where dash line appears' and pick the [0] output. The [0] will be the ARTIST from old php melody versions.

Point being that a lot of people are unhappy with removal of 'artist' .... but I think it was removed to make php melody be adaptable to a broader video content depository than just 'artist' 'song name' format . And there are many ways that the problem could be solved.
Last edited by mqrasi on Feb 17, 2013 9 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mqrasi
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Feb 17, 2013 7 pm

Andrew wrote:@dhunt - I've installed IE10 on my working computer (Windows 7 Ultimate) and as expected, everything works fine. Trace confirmed this as well so the problem might be with your machine or because the 'compatibility mode' enabled.

Oh, I trust that you did exactly what you said you did. But the problem still remains that it doesnt' work with the Compat Mode on. V1.6.7 doesn't have this problem at all. And those people that come in with compat on will just take one look and leave. I deal in older vintage movies and TV and the clients are also more of a vintage age. They are more likely to have IE10 on Vista or IE9 on XP. Both are still supported widely on the Internet by other companies and Web Writers. And X percent will have Compat Mode turned on. I lose those folks on the first visit.

Now, we both know that I can easily place the same thing on a blank HTML page using embedding code on a blank HTML page and the problem isn't the regardless of the browser, OS and settings on the Browser. And my menus work as they are supposed to. And the page works like it is supposed to. I have two systems over here. One is just Public domain on Web Pages and the other is Melody 1.6.7. Both work just fine. But the test sites with V1.7 won't work even with the Compat off. The 1.8.1 doesn't work with the Compat on. The site with the Conventional Web Pages outperforms the Melody. Now, if I were to present V1.8.1 or V 1.9, Melody would fall even further off even though 1.9 looks as good as it does.

You are still strictly writing for a much,. much younger crowd than some of us have. And there is NOTHING wrong with my system. It all boils down to the fact that your dropdowns are written for a specific browser. And it has nothing to do with the OS system either. Dropdowns worked just fine in 1.6.7 and it fell apart in 1.7. Your Java needs a bit of tweeking. Otherwise it can't be used for the older crowd that are using XP or Vista with the compat on.

I do hope you see the problem here.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Feb 17, 2013 7 pm

Andrew wrote:@dhunt - I've installed IE10 on my working computer (Windows 7 Ultimate) and as expected, everything works fine. Trace confirmed this as well so the problem might be with your machine or because the 'compatibility mode' enabled.

Oh, I trust that you did exactly what you said you did. But the problem still remains that it doesnt' work with the Compat Mode on. V1.6.7 doesn't have this problem at all. And those people that come in with compat on will just take one look and leave. I deal in older vintage movies and TV and the clients are also more of a vintage age. They are more likely to have IE10 on Vista or IE9 on XP. Both are still supported widely on the Internet by other companies and Web Writers. And X percent will have Compat Mode turned on. I lose those folks on the first visit.

Now, we both know that I can easily place the same thing on a blank HTML page using embedding code on a blank HTML page and the problem isn't the regardless of the browser, OS and settings on the Browser. And my menus work as they are supposed to. And the page works like it is supposed to. I have two systems over here. One is just Public domain on Web Pages and the other is Melody 1.6.7. Both work just fine. But the test sites with V1.7 won't work even with the Compat off. The 1.8.1 doesn't work with the Compat on. The site with the Conventional Web Pages outperforms the Melody. Now, if I were to present V1.8.1 or V 1.9, Melody would fall even further off even though 1.9 looks as good as it does.

You are still strictly writing for a much,. much younger crowd than some of us have. And there is NOTHING wrong with my system. It all boils down to the fact that your dropdowns are written for a specific browser. And it has nothing to do with the OS system either. Dropdowns worked just fine in 1.6.7 and it fell apart in 1.7. Your Java needs a bit of tweeking. Otherwise it can't be used for the older crowd that are using XP or Vista with the compat on.

I do hope you see the problem here.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby rasmi on Feb 18, 2013 1 am

Andrew,

Is it possible to add the option to change the design direction from right to left of the control panel

To fit with the direction of some languages

thanks
rasmi
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby praveen on Feb 18, 2013 3 am

mqrasi wrote:Hi Praveen:

option#1 : Alternatively You can pick any other field such as ID to do your "IF id = XYZ" ... do this or do that.

option#2: you can maintain a style such as the old way "artistname - songname" AND for each query do a "EXPLODE" of "TITLE where dash line appears' and pick the [0] output. The [0] will be the ARTIST from old php melody versions.

Point being that a lot of people are unhappy with removal of 'artist' .... but I think it was removed to make php melody be adaptable to a broader video content depository than just 'artist' 'song name' format . And there are many ways that the problem could be solved.

Hi mqrasi,

Option #1 will not be of much help as there are many videos and it is not quite feasible to keep updating the id's.

Option #2: I have stripped the artist field from the front end and url. I only use it in the backend primarily to filter the videos. To the end user it does not really matter who is the artist (mine is not a music video site) or content provider. He/she wants to see a video and i give it to him.

I was probably one of the first few people who removed the artist field from the public side of the script.

With the artist (or any custom field like that) the limits to creating new pages is endless.. I can quite simply use it display content outside melody as i please. What can be done is 10 lines of codes might now have to be done is 20 lines (number is just to give an idea).
praveen
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Andrew on Feb 18, 2013 10 am

@dhunt - The problem has been solved.

Is it possible to add the option to change the design direction from right to left of the control panel

@rasmi - This suggestion came in a bit too late for this update. Maybe next time.
PHP Melody v3.0
Andrew
Founding Developer

Postby fcarew on Feb 18, 2013 9 pm

@Andrew

What about Plugins?

Are you planning on bringing back "FFmpeg (cli)" ?
Are you planning on Adding "Membership Plans" like Vimeo for video hosting ?

I and a lot of clients would be happy to pay a tidy price for these sorts of modules :)

Regards.
fcarew
Non-verified
Non-verified