Loading ...

Question about YouTube and copyright issues

Board index / General Chat

Lounge & announcements forum.

Postby 234Ent on Aug 29, 2012 10 am

Let's say an upcoming singer or rapper, drops a song and made it available for free download on his website to increase his fan base, become more popular, or any other reasons. I then download the song like everybody else and upload to YouTube. Can a third party claim copyright to the song and block my video on YouTube? Even though the artist did not put the music up for sale and was made available for free download?

I need your opinion guys.
Last edited by 234Ent on Nov 30, 2012 7 am, edited 1 time in total.
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 50

Postby muzikia on Aug 29, 2012 10 am

Depends if that singer wrote on his website that he allows the distribution of the song.
If he allows you to download the song that doesn't implies that he gave you the right of distribution.

So
The distribution is a so called exclusive right which, amoung others, belong to the owner only, being a part of the copyright.
So the singer has to specially mention that he gives away the right of distribution to you or to everybody - I doubt.
http://www.ModMyScript.com - PHPMelody plugins and mods since 2008
http://www.HostingWays.com - Shared or VPS Hosting
*** PHP Melody user and plugins maker for 9 years and counting.
muzikia
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 167

Postby 234Ent on Aug 29, 2012 3 pm

For an upcoming singer, I would think he/she would actually want their music distributed as much as possible so it reaches broader audience. The website for the the said artist is still relatively new and does not contain much content or info yet.

I believe the 3rd party is just trying to gather all the video views for the released song on YouTube, hereby blocking everyone else from showcasing or spreading the song.

I sent the artist's manager an email requesting permission, will see how it goes.

Thanks for your opinion Muzikia.
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby dhunt on Aug 29, 2012 6 pm

234Ent wrote:Let's say an upcoming singer or rapper, drops a song and made it available for free download on his website to increase his fan base, become more popular, or any other reasons. I then download the song like everybody else and upload to YouTube. Can a third party claim copyright to the song and block my video on YouTube? Even though the artist did not put the music up for sale and was made available for free download?

I need your opinion guys.

Actually, most new artists don't own anything. They actually lose money on the record deal. They, or thier backers, have to pony up for the recording and distrubution of the DVD. They make their money by touring. Only the Big Names or Power Houses actually make anything off of dvd sales.

Now, the question is, did the artist have the copyrights on it themselves? If they did, they can put it on a site for download if they wish. But only that site has permission for that download. Youtube doesn't. Therefore, Youtube isn't in violation, you are for uploading because YOU didn't have the copyright on it. Yes, it can be taken down. All songs, movies, etc. are assumed to be copyrighted or copyrightable.

And the Artist may NOT have the actual copyright on their own work. But, someone or a corp does.
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -85

Postby dhunt on Aug 29, 2012 7 pm

234Ent wrote:For an upcoming singer, I would think he/she would actually want their music distributed as much as possible so it reaches broader audience. The website for the the said artist is still relatively new and does not contain much content or info yet.

I believe the 3rd party is just trying to gather all the video views for the released song on YouTube, hereby blocking everyone else from showcasing or spreading the song.

I sent the artist's manager an email requesting permission, will see how it goes.

Thanks for your opinion Muzikia.

There are a lot of reasons. Right now, the Copyright Holders are starting to hold youtube's feet to the fire. In the past, they have been quite a depository of Copyrighted Material that they didn't hold the right to display them. I used them for that in the past so I am no angel. But the handwriting is on the wall.

You are doing exactly the right thing and I do hope they allow you to display the vid legally. Young artists need exposure. But they are also leery about who displays what. The problem is, some "Person" will get ahold of the whole album and display all of it which takes away sales. I do hope they let you display that one because one won't tip the applecart.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -85

Postby 234Ent on Aug 30, 2012 1 am

Your inputs are appreciated Daryl. This copyright thingy is another area I will in the near future get to study bit by bit. Still awaiting a response.
234Ent
Verified Customer
Verified Customer