Loading ...

hosting

Board index / General Chat

Lounge & announcements forum.

Postby ahmity on Mar 29, 2013 9 am

hi my hosting provider asking me always to have more vps this is what ther are send me
I could see that your server was overloaded and the domain ------------------.com was causing the issue. I would suggest you to add extra resources or move this domain to another vps.

and i head to website
1 website having over 10000 visitor per day
2 website having 3000 visitor per day
and i am already having vps
4Gb ram
4tb Bandwidth
250Gb hard disk
2core cpu and it is Fully Managed VPS Hosting

so my Q is
1 are they just lying me
2 is php melody have in server

please help meeeeeeeeeeee
ahmity
Non-verified
Non-verified

Reputation points: 0

Postby Andrew on Mar 29, 2013 12 pm

They may be telling the truth. Since you're using a VPS, and the resources are shared, there may be peak times when the limits of the current configuration are reached/exceeded.

Do you have 13,000 unique visitors or in total?
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
https://demo.phpmelody.com/admin/series.php
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428

Postby dhunt on Mar 29, 2013 9 pm

ahmity wrote:hi my hosting provider asking me always to have more vps this is what ther are send me
I could see that your server was overloaded and the domain ------------------.com was causing the issue. I would suggest you to add extra resources or move this domain to another vps.

and i head to website
1 website having over 10000 visitor per day
2 website having 3000 visitor per day
and i am already having vps
4Gb ram
4tb Bandwidth
250Gb hard disk
2core cpu and it is Fully Managed VPS Hosting

so my Q is
1 are they just lying me
2 is php melody have in server

please help meeeeeeeeeeee

No, they probably aren't. You have a shared VPS account and the total resource usage is pretty high. What has happened is they oversold their VPS on that particular computer (server) and want you to go to another one that has less resources used. Yes, that will require an upgrade on your part but if you don't, they can use the TOS to terminate or slow your account down.

The bigger and more popular your system gets, the closer you inch towards a Dedicated Server. If I were you, I would start pricing a Dedicated Server that meets or exceeds your needs.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: -85

Postby ahmity on Mar 30, 2013 7 am

No, they probably aren't. You have a shared VPS account and the total resource usage is pretty high. What has happened is they oversold their VPS on that particular computer (server) and want you to go to another one that has less resources used. Yes, that will require an upgrade on your part but if you don't, they can use the TOS to terminate or slow your account down.

The bigger and more popular your system gets, the closer you inch towards a Dedicated Server. If I were you, I would start pricing a Dedicated Server that meets or exceeds your needs.

Daryl

thx i think i have to get a Dedicated Server currently i am paying 179$/m for this vps
ahmity
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby ahmity on Mar 30, 2013 7 am

Andrew wrote:They may be telling the truth. Since you're using a VPS, and the resources are shared, there may be peak times when the limits of the current configuration are reached/exceeded.

Do you have 13,000 unique visitors or in total?

yes Dear Andrew I have 13,000 unique visitors
the page view per day it about 35,000

and my 2nd Q was is php melody script code heavy on CPU ?
ahmity
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby dhunt on Mar 30, 2013 8 am

ahmity wrote:
thx i think i have to get a Dedicated Server currently i am paying 179$/m for this vps

I think that you have a very impressive system. Most of us would be envious. But for 179 a month, that's in the neighborhood of a Dedicated Server in price.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Trace on Mar 30, 2013 10 am

You have to ask what exactly their definition of overloaded is.
An optimized server/site with your visitor/pageview count should run on a VPS with half the resources you are paying for.
Unless you host the videos yourself in which case the 4 TB might be a little low.
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Reputation points: 1329

Postby dhunt on Mar 30, 2013 11 am

Trace wrote:You have to ask what exactly their definition of overloaded is.
An optimized server/site with your visitor/pageview count should run on a VPS with half the resources you are paying for.
Unless you host the videos yourself in which case the 4 TB might be a little low.

Either way, he can shop around and get a dedicated for the same money. And 4 tb what? It doesn't sound like he's in a bandwidth or storage but the OP could tell us what exactly the resources they are dinging him for.

If he has mostly his own vids then the Dedicated is the only way to go regardless at this point.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Trace on Mar 30, 2013 11 am

I agree.
I was referring to the 4TB bandwidth he mentioned in his first post.
The price is probably higher because its a managed VPS.
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby ahmity on Mar 30, 2013 11 am

dhunt wrote:
Trace wrote:You have to ask what exactly their definition of overloaded is.

Either way, he can shop around and get a dedicated for the same money. And 4 tb what? It doesn't sound like he's in a bandwidth or storage but the OP could tell us what exactly the resources they are dinging him for.

If he has mostly his own vids then the Dedicated is the only way to go regardless at this point.

Daryl

95 % of my videos are linked not hosted
ahmity
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby Trace on Mar 30, 2013 1 pm

Are you using the YouTube proxy plugin?
That thing eats resources and bandwidth for breakfast, might be why you are getting these messages from your host.
If you use that it is like you are hosting all the videos yourself but with double the bandwidth load.
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Trace on Mar 30, 2013 1 pm

Also your site seems to be down right now
Trace
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby ahmity on Mar 30, 2013 6 pm

Trace wrote:Are you using the YouTube proxy plugin?
That thing eats resources and bandwidth for breakfast, might be why you are getting these messages from your host.
If you use that it is like you are hosting all the videos yourself but with double the bandwidth load.

no i am not using youtube proxy
and my site was down now its working
ahmity
Non-verified
Non-verified

Postby dhunt on Mar 30, 2013 7 pm

ahmity wrote:
Trace wrote:Are you using the YouTube proxy plugin?

no i am not using youtube proxy
and my site was down now its working

I think you can rule out Melody as the culprit. It sounds like your Mysql is getting overloaded. Not just by you but others. I don't have nearly your page counts but it's starting to happen over here a bit. Not anything worth worrying about but most of mine are under the Public Domain Side and all of them are locally hosted.

You still haven't told us what resources your Provider is saying you are using too much of.

Daryl
dhunt
Verified Customer
Verified Customer

Postby Andrew on Apr 04, 2013 3 pm

@ahmity - In my view the MySQL database is the point of failure. You can take a look at the current MySQL server configuration (/etc/my.cnf) and get a sense where the problem might be.

If you can, post the /etc/my.cnf contents here.
PHP Melody v3.0
New Series Module? Publish series and episodes right from PHP Melody's Dashboard -->
https://demo.phpmelody.com/admin/series.php
Andrew
Founding Developer

Reputation points: 428